• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Subject to investigation without being notified"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by obviousthrowaway View Post

My issue is I can't hunker down to do my job as my job is investigations and information protection. That I know about it is in itself a breach of the rules I'm there to enforce. A catch 22 for me. ...
    You go to your boss and ask what you should do if a specific hypothetical situation should arise.

Bernard ...asks Sir Humphrey if he had a duty to inform him if -- to take a purely hypothetical example -- a minister and his political advisors had decided to redraft a report between them and then submit it to committee at the last moment, before it could be amended by anyone else.

Sir Humphrey tells him that he should not, particularly if such information was given in confidence.

Leave a comment:

• obviousthrowaway
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    or it could be off payroll dogma seeing as alexander fined two departments and got rid of 90 or contractors.

If you are running around breaking confidences.
    Hadn't thought of the Danny effect. That makes sense as a reason still we'll see

Confidante would know I'd ask outright and is fine about it.

Leave a comment:

• obviousthrowaway
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Are these two people the same!?
    Yep we are sorry thought I should make throwaway more obvious then logged into different browser when I got back to my desk.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    There is nothing lowly about contractors. My best teams have always relied on bringing in good contingent staff and nothing in the public sector would work if contractors were't there sorting out the mess made by civil servants and big consultancies.
    Well, you'll be welcome under a new login ID once you've burnt this one.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    whoops

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by DijStra View Post
    Durrhhh ... Sorry never seen it expressed like that but I'm not a typical contractor. Most of my contracts are >24 months, with the civil service and have been inside IR35 for as long as I can be bothered to check. I just ramp the rate up to compensate so it makes no difference practically.

As for job boards I don't use them and all my work is on referral, hence I'm worried about an investigation and the impact that it will have on future roles. Despite the 16 years of contracting I'm still a newbie when it comes to the stuff you guys and gals do.
    Should have known that but I'm not a typical contractor unlike you guys and gals I'm not much of a contract warrior. My roles are normally >36 months, and have been assessed on two occasions as inside IR35 it not something that bothers me. I just ramp up my rate to compensate.

As for job boards in last 16 years I've only ever got roles by personal recommendation hence the investigation is really important to me get resolved, exit or not.
    Are these two people the same!?

This investigation could be anything. It could be unprofessional conduct (telling someone to 'effing grow up' is frowned upon in the civil service) or it could be off payroll dogma seeing as alexander fined two departments and got rid of 90 or contractors.

If you are running around breaking confidences (such as your friend telling you you are to be investigated and then going straight to your 'boss') then that's another possibility you've put someone's nose out of joint.

Of course, you could just be the inter department patsy being set up to carry the can.

Myself, Id have respected my friend's comment and kept my trap shut. Instead, Id say you've poked the bear in the eye with a tulipty stick.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

There is nothing lowly about contractors. My best teams have always relied on bringing in good contingent staff and nothing in the public sector would work if contractors were't there sorting out the mess made by civil servants and big consultancies.
    Could you please notify HMRC and tell them to get off our backs or they will have no systems

Leave a comment:

• obviousthrowaway
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You an still become a contract warrior like us lowly souls

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Thanks I think after chatting it through with you guys and some of my other colleagues I'm just going to sit back and ride the wave. See where it goes and thank my lucky stars I have a war chest and a healthy pension pot to sit back on for a few years.
    You an still become a contract warrior like us lowly souls

Leave a comment:

• obviousthrowaway
    replied
    so good luck.
    Thanks I think after chatting it through with you guys and some of my other colleagues I'm just going to sit back and ride the wave. See where it goes and thank my lucky stars I have a war chest and a healthy pension pot to sit back on for a few years.

Leave a comment:

• obviousthrowaway
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    Do you work through your own limited company or through some other means?
    I have a PSC, though I might as well be PAYE but that would mean I need ministerial approval for my salary so they won't do it.

Leave a comment:

• obviousthrowaway
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    Your worst case scenario can be no worse than a contract termination.

Are you expecting them to put you through their investigation procedure? You are a contractor, aren't you?
    Termination is not what I'm worried about, staying when the environment is toxic is. I've never terminated my contract early before and am concerned about the impact it might have on future roles given its a fairly small world.

Yes they have now (just by email) confirmed there is an investigation although they won't say into what and indicated that they expect me to take part in it as though I were a permanent civil servant (just without the protections they get I guess).

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Should have known that but I'm not a typical contractor unlike you guys and gals I'm not much of a contract warrior. My roles are normally >36 months, and have been assessed on two occasions as inside IR35 it not something that bothers me. I just ramp up my rate to compensate.

As for job boards in last 16 years I've only ever got roles by personal recommendation hence the investigation is really important to me get resolved, exit or not.
    OK that makes more sense. I can see why it's a big issue if it comes with reputational damage as well.

Would it not be an idea to try and let this pan out quietly then as per process and not advertise it by trying to get other people involved. I know it's not much help but I can't see for one minute anyone at any level heading off investigations in the civil service. Closing this type of stuff and not following process hits the papers enough. Mr Blaire is in the news for possibly circumventing school admissions. Can't see a supplier at any level having the ability to hide things under the carpet.

Anyway, nothing else I can add to this now so good luck.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied

Do you work through your own limited company or through some other means?

Leave a comment:

• obviousthrowaway
    replied
    D&C is Direction and Control. .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X