• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Subject to investigation without being notified

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subject to investigation without being notified

This is a throwaway account for obvious reasons.

I'm a contractor, and have been for past 16 years, and I currently work for a government agency in my third role during the past 20 months. The environment is politically charged with major problems in some programmes that I have now been asked to help with. My role was changed without consultation two weeks ago to put me at the forefront of sorting out delivery of the IT elements of one of the broken programmes.

This morning I was told by a trusted colleague, a perm civil servant I've been friends with for more than 20 years, that I am subject of an investigation about my conduct.

I have written to my line manager (the interim CIO) asking if there is an investigation and what the subject is if there is, and got a bland response saying as an interim he could not comment.

I cant think of anything that I have done that would warrant being investigated, apart from almost loosing my temper in a meeting and telling a subordinate for "******* grow up" in November last year - but I thought this had be resolved. I do have outside interests but nothing that needs to be declared as a conflict of interest and everything extracurricular I do is above board and the agency have always been aware of the the details.

As a contractor what do the government agency have to tell me about what is going on? I don't have the normal employment law protections obviously but would appreciate any advice on what to do next - apart from hunker down and leave which I'm reluctant to do as I do not like to exit contracts mid term or in bad faith.

Ta

Surly you go up to your bosses desk and ask him, if he says HR knock on there door ?

Have you been surfing the Internet at work ?

Comment

Originally posted by obviousthrowaway View Post
      This is a throwaway account for obvious reasons.

I'm a contractor, and have been for past 16 years, and I currently work for a government agency in my third role during the past 20 months. The environment is politically charged with major problems in some programmes that I have now been asked to help with. My role was changed without consultation two weeks ago to put me at the forefront of sorting out delivery of the IT elements of one of the broken programmes.

This morning I was told by a trusted colleague, a perm civil servant I've been friends with for more than 20 years, that I am subject of an investigation about my conduct.

I have written to my line manager (the interim CIO) asking if there is an investigation and what the subject is if there is, and got a bland response saying as an interim he could not comment.

I cant think of anything that I have done that would warrant being investigated, apart from almost loosing my temper in a meeting and telling a subordinate for "******* grow up" in November last year - but I thought this had be resolved. I do have outside interests but nothing that needs to be declared as a conflict of interest and everything extracurricular I do is above board and the agency have always been aware of the the details.

As a contractor what do the government agency have to tell me about what is going on? I don't have the normal employment law protections obviously but would appreciate any advice on what to do next - apart from hunker down and leave which I'm reluctant to do as I do not like to exit contracts mid term or in bad faith.

Ta
      I would suggest contacting your agency. If you have a good relationship with them they ought to be speaking with the client to find out what's going on.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Guessing, but I presume the guy you shouted at went and complained and being a bureacratic government agency they probably told him to fill out the forms, and now it is going through a slow HR "investigation".

If this was serious they would have sent you home, can't see there's much to worry about.

Might need to get something different when the contract expires.

If things are going well and you actually haven't been officially notified, I would ignore it. Losing your temper in a meeting really isn't a big deal, and if he has reported it, he really should "f*** grow up" .
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 13 March 2015, 10:43.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

IMO you don't do anything until your advised. You are going on word of mouth and are more likely to get your friend in trouble and make things difficult for yourself. The civil service more than any other organisation will take a dim view on sensitive HR information being passed around the office. I'd say as frustrating as it is you just put your head down and carry on working.

Even if you do get to the root of it they have process to follow and you wading in early won't help one iota. You'll look like an even bigger trouble maker.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
            Surly you go up to your bosses desk and ask him, if he says HR knock on there door ?

I'm an SCS1 so report to a director who just referred me to HR who have just stonewalled.

Internet nope I have a personal wifi dongle that I use

Comment

umm

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              IMO you don't do anything until your advised. You are going on word of mouth and are more likely to get your friend in trouble and make things difficult for yourself. The civil service more than any other organisation will take a dim view on sensitive HR information being passed around the office. I'd say as frustrating as it is you just put your head down and carry on working.

Even if you do get to the root of it they have process to follow and you wading in early won't help one iota. You'll look like an even bigger trouble maker.
              Yeah thats fine advice but it means that I cannot make any decisions as SIRO. Even if they are conducting an informal investigation my letter of delegation should be revoked until such time as its clear. Having been made aware of an issue it is incumbent on me to ensure that I do not put the agency in harms way or create any situation where the AO has a security risk. Unfortunately its me who would be turned to for advice in this situation if it were any one else and my advice would be for anything that warrants an investigation - revocation and at least moving out of the team if not suspension.

As for CS taking a dim view of HR information being passed around its really not true in this agency at least.

Finally as a trouble maker, thats my job to find and fix issues, so I'm labelled as that anyway just that up to now the opinion of the CEO and CIO has been that they want to know where the issues are rather than have a compliant SIRO who allows them into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                I would suggest contacting your agency. If you have a good relationship with them they ought to be speaking with the client to find out what's going on.

I've reached out to them but they got stonewalled as well

Comment

Originally posted by obviousthrowaway View Post
                  Yeah thats fine advice but it means that I cannot make any decisions as SIRO. Even if they are conducting an informal investigation my letter of delegation should be revoked until such time as its clear. Having been made aware of an issue it is incumbent on me to ensure that I do not put the agency in harms way or create any situation where the AO has a security risk. Unfortunately its me who would be turned to for advice in this situation if it were any one else and my advice would be for anything that warrants an investigation - revocation and at least moving out of the team if not suspension.

As for CS taking a dim view of HR information being passed around its really not true in this agency at least.

Finally as a trouble maker, thats my job to find and fix issues, so I'm labelled as that anyway just that up to now the opinion of the CEO and CIO has been that they want to know where the issues are rather than have a compliant SIRO who allows them into trouble.
                  I have no idea what most of those acronyms mean am still of the opinion you are jumping ahead. They have kicked off an investigation. They will have pretty structured process around this which I expect the Civil Service will follow to the letter. You have found out through the grapevine so have not been officially invited in to the process. Until you do I can't see what you can do about it. I nearly said until then what business is it of yours but you could argue it's about you so it is your business but I would argue not until the process has included your involvement.

The CIO has declined to comment because it is not his place to do so. The investigation will follow process and people will be informed when that process dictates.

I can't help but think you are turning this in to a monster. They will decide what steps to take if you are putting the agency at risk, you just carry on doing what you are asked to do... Just on that point, a contractor having his role changed by the client.. D&C??? Anyway..

As a contractor you have no rights, you are not part of the organisation and can be subject to investigations or whatever as the client and his policy dictates. Your job is to deliver what you are told and get invoiced. That's it.. period. If you are investigated and your performance is unsatisfactory your contract is terminated and you move on. No amount of defence or complaining you have been unfairly judged is going to help. You deliver a service, client doesn't want it.. End of. They are under no obligation to support you or give you any credit etc that a employee might. They keep you or they bin you. You are gonna just have to ride the wave... and not make anymore. IMO it's out of your hands. Keep schtum, follow process and see what happens.

I just don't see what the point of overthinking, going digging, interrupting the process is gonna do.

I'll have to take your word for it as I am not there but I find this very difficult to believe. Go off on stress due to finding out through the grapevine and see how seriously they will take this confidentiality breach.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 13 March 2015, 14:45.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post

If surfing the web at work causes an issue then I would walk. They will be timing you going to the toilet next.

Comment

Working...
                    X