• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How do you go about changing accountants?"

Collapse

• Forbes Young
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    My accountant has just completed my year-end and now I think it's time for the parting of the ways (no problems really but they've got bigger and there is much less communication than when I started with them 10 years ago).

So do I just call them up and say thanks but I'm off and then let the new accountants take over, or what?

(I haven't actually engaged the new one yet as I don't really know how to start the process.)
    Best to find the new accountant first, then they should be able to help you with the transfer process. The previous accountant will need your authorisation to pass over documentation and information to the new accountant and the latter should receive what they need without problem or delay - there are ethical standards that all qualified accountants should follow otherwise they will be in trouble with their governing body - this includes conduct during the transfer process. There are a lot of unqualified accountants operating in the contractor accountants marketplace so always best to ask about their qualifications and experience before appointing them.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It's still a noob question - ask the accountant you want to switch to how they will progress the switch, since it might vary anyway.

How many noobs already have an accountant and are looking to change to a different one?

And where are the threads where this happens all the time

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    But the process is:

> Appoint a new accountant
    > Sign a permission the old accountant to give the info to the new accountant
    > Let the new accountant take care of the rest.

If you want, email or call the old accountant. But it's a courtesy more than anything.

If the old accountant doesn't play ball, it's possible for them to get most of the info from the client or HMRC and probably rebuild the rest.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Wasn't it tongue in cheek as that's NLUK's stock suggestion? :-) Didn't the big picture give that away?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It's still a noob question - ask the accountant you want to switch to how they will progress the switch, since it might vary anyway.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    It's amazing that moderators don't know everything.

This is just a process question. I wasn't asking anyone whether I should leave my accountant, just how.

At least it shows I'm not a bot...

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Moderating a forum where people ask this kind of thing all the time?
    All the time? Really?

Show me four threads from the past month where someone has asked what they need to do to change accountants.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Why would moderating ability and the knowledge of a business transaction that you have never done before be intrinsically linked?
    Moderating a forum where people ask this kind of thing all the time?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    What kind of moderator has to ask this question?!

But I thought the process was the new one handles it. If you leave on good terms with the old one, speak to them first.
    Why would moderating ability and the knowledge of a business transaction that you have never done before be intrinsically linked?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

What does your accountant say?
    What kind of moderator has to ask this question?!

But I thought the process was the new one handles it. If you leave on good terms with the old one, speak to them first.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    I switched from one of the big contractor ones to an online system at the beginning of this tax year (also my end of company end of year) and the process was really hassle free.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    I engaged my new accountant first and then wrote to my old accountant telling them I was moving and giving authority to the new accountant to write to them requesting all my stuff that they held.

It was all pretty painless.
    Same except my old accountant who was a one man band with files on tables all over the place never stumped up the documentation. SJD chased him a number of times and I tried to get him but it was always on it's way despite some heated conversations. SJD actually re-did my accounts for the period I was with him just to find out where we were in the end. I think this was just an isolated case though.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

Exactly!! And she's got bloody TWO to talk to !!!!

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    For me it was pretty simple. I waited for the judge to lock mine up and then found someone who was based in my home city at an address I knew.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X