• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Londoners, contacless on the tube - receipts?"

Collapse

• richy
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    I don't see why it wouldn't be.

I only ever used Oyster PAYG and claimed for individual journeys using my monthly journey report as evidence.

This is no different.

The only issue I can think of is if you are recovering VAT you'd need a valid VAT invoice.

Public transport is zero-rated, there is no VAT to reclaim. That is why tfl tube receipts and oyster don't show VAT or a VAT number....

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    A similar question is "I've bought an annual season ticket- what happens if I use it myself"

Nixon Williams told me it was alright as the expense to the company would've happened anyway and it was the cheapest way to do it. Call it a bonus!
    I agree. Remember the purpose is the key and purpose != usage. If HMRC were to look at this they would be looking at the purpose for providing the season ticket/Oyster card.

If the travel was necessary for your job and a travel card was the most cost effective way to provide it then IMO it passes the wholly, exclusively and necessarily test (caveat: all the usual travel expenses rules also apply). It wasn't provided for any other purpose than to facilitate business travel, even if as a consequence you are able to make use of it for the occasional personal trip so there shouldn't be a BIK.

If OTOH you only travel one day a week but still buy a season ticket they might rightly question whether it was solely for business purposes.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by Sergiales View Post
    Hi,

I have a quick question as I think this was not answered. If I use my business card to pay as you go at the tube, so 5 days a week and I get to the capping amount so no more money will be charged. Is it ok to use it on the weekends?

Thanks!!!
    A similar question is "I've bought an annual season ticket- what happens if I use it myself"

Nixon Williams told me it was alright as the expense to the company would've happened anyway and it was the cheapest way to do it. Call it a bonus!

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by Sergiales View Post
    Hi,

I have a quick question as I think this was not answered. If I use my business card to pay as you go at the tube, so 5 days a week and I get to the capping amount so no more money will be charged. Is it ok to use it on the weekends?

Thanks!!!
    I suppose theoretically HMRC could make the case that it is a non cash benefit but personally I wouldn't worry about this.

Leave a comment:

• Sergiales
    replied
    Hi,

Thanks!!!

Leave a comment:

• fidot
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    So long as he's not claiming mileage from HisCo personally when he gets the train, its got nothing to do with HMRC. Its between HisCo and the client what he charges them for travel costs.
    Agreed, but that wasn't clear from the post I quoted.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    other posters are quite right. You put VAT on everything you charge !or else!

I have a client who doesn't like to pay VAT on VAT so they insist that I deduct the VAT from expenses before before I claim. On FRS this equates to me giving them a discount, but then again I'm making 5.5% on VAT anyway. So all good.
    just to be pedantic

net invoice =X
    gross invoice =1.2X

on FRS 14.5% (assuming that's where you got your 5.5% from)
    VAT received from client = 0.2X
    VAT paid to HMRC =0.145*1.2X =0.174X

VAT "made" from FRS = 0.2X-0.174X =0.026X = 2.6%

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by fidot View Post
    Don't think HMRC would take too kindly to this
    So long as he's not claiming mileage from HisCo personally when he gets the train, its got nothing to do with HMRC. Its between HisCo and the client what he charges them for travel costs.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by fidot View Post
    and why not?
    I'm not defrauding HMRC. My claim from my own company is genuine and valid.

Leave a comment:

• fidot
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    train travel (although I make money on mileage so prefer that - in fact I often take a train but charge my client mileage),

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by KayMan View Post
    This is the post I was referring to. The VAT being paid twice comment was mine, I forgot to account for business claiming back on VAT.
    the method I use to reduce my cost hit is to use non-VAT services where possible. Small hotels (or even better cash hotels), train travel (although I make money on mileage so prefer that - in fact I often take a train but charge my client mileage), small restaurants.

Of course this is only relevant if the client wants to see receipts which is not something you have to do, but they'll often refuse to pay if you don't.
    An ideal scenario is where the client accepts an expense limit, and you then bill them for that + VAT.

Leave a comment:

• KayMan
    replied
    This is the post I was referring to. The VAT being paid twice comment was mine, I forgot to account for business claiming back on VAT.
    Last edited by KayMan; 1 November 2016, 15:53.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Thank you for the ample input folks, well understood now. I did come across a post online that went over this issue as it seems some (not mentioned) clients are giving contractors a hard time when they add VAT on top of an already hefty expenses bill. The taxman makes money twice and the client complains that you can just use the "internal expenses" process not understanding the impact. The advice was to always go via the invoicing route even if you had to end up paying the VAT from your own pocket, which I think most of us will agree with.
    But he doesn't. The client can claim the VAT back.

For you not to invoice with VAT, it would have to be a disbursement rather than an expense. There are very clear rules around what a disbursement is. And an expense is almost certainly never a disbursement.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Thank you for the ample input folks, well understood now. I did come across a post online that went over this issue as it seems some (not mentioned) clients are giving contractors a hard time when they add VAT on top of an already hefty expenses bill. The taxman makes money twice and the client complains that you can just use the "internal expenses" process not understanding the impact. The advice was to always go via the invoicing route even if you had to end up paying the VAT from your own pocket, which I think most of us will agree with.
    Just the same as paying a tradesman for materials in the building game, if the builder is registered for VAT, No?

I haven't had any issues when I have had an expenses line on my invoice, in the couple of times I have had to do it.
    Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 1 November 2016, 11:01.

Leave a comment:

• KayMan
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X