• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Londoners, contacless on the tube - receipts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

I have a quick question as I think this was not answered. If I use my business card to pay as you go at the tube, so 5 days a week and I get to the capping amount so no more money will be charged. Is it ok to use it on the weekends?

Thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sergiales View Post
      Hi,

I have a quick question as I think this was not answered. If I use my business card to pay as you go at the tube, so 5 days a week and I get to the capping amount so no more money will be charged. Is it ok to use it on the weekends?

Thanks!!!
      I suppose theoretically HMRC could make the case that it is a non cash benefit but personally I wouldn't worry about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergiales View Post
        Hi,

Thanks!!!
        A similar question is "I've bought an annual season ticket- what happens if I use it myself"

Nixon Williams told me it was alright as the expense to the company would've happened anyway and it was the cheapest way to do it. Call it a bonus!
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
          A similar question is "I've bought an annual season ticket- what happens if I use it myself"

Nixon Williams told me it was alright as the expense to the company would've happened anyway and it was the cheapest way to do it. Call it a bonus!
          I agree. Remember the purpose is the key and purpose != usage. If HMRC were to look at this they would be looking at the purpose for providing the season ticket/Oyster card.

If the travel was necessary for your job and a travel card was the most cost effective way to provide it then IMO it passes the wholly, exclusively and necessarily test (caveat: all the usual travel expenses rules also apply). It wasn't provided for any other purpose than to facilitate business travel, even if as a consequence you are able to make use of it for the occasional personal trip so there shouldn't be a BIK.

If OTOH you only travel one day a week but still buy a season ticket they might rightly question whether it was solely for business purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            I don't see why it wouldn't be.

I only ever used Oyster PAYG and claimed for individual journeys using my monthly journey report as evidence.

This is no different.

The only issue I can think of is if you are recovering VAT you'd need a valid VAT invoice.

Public transport is zero-rated, there is no VAT to reclaim. That is why tfl tube receipts and oyster don't show VAT or a VAT number....

Comment

Working...
            X