• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Londoners, contacless on the tube - receipts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for the ample input folks, well understood now. I did come across a post online that went over this issue as it seems some (not mentioned) clients are giving contractors a hard time when they add VAT on top of an already hefty expenses bill. The taxman makes money twice and the client complains that you can just use the "internal expenses" process not understanding the impact. The advice was to always go via the invoicing route even if you had to end up paying the VAT from your own pocket, which I think most of us will agree with.

Comment

Originally posted by KayMan View Post
      Thank you for the ample input folks, well understood now. I did come across a post online that went over this issue as it seems some (not mentioned) clients are giving contractors a hard time when they add VAT on top of an already hefty expenses bill. The taxman makes money twice and the client complains that you can just use the "internal expenses" process not understanding the impact. The advice was to always go via the invoicing route even if you had to end up paying the VAT from your own pocket, which I think most of us will agree with.
      Just the same as paying a tradesman for materials in the building game, if the builder is registered for VAT, No?

I haven't had any issues when I have had an expenses line on my invoice, in the couple of times I have had to do it.
      Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 1 November 2016, 11:01.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

But he doesn't. The client can claim the VAT back.

For you not to invoice with VAT, it would have to be a disbursement rather than an expense. There are very clear rules around what a disbursement is. And an expense is almost certainly never a disbursement.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

This is the post I was referring to. The VAT being paid twice comment was mine, I forgot to account for business claiming back on VAT.
          Last edited by KayMan; 1 November 2016, 15:53.

Comment

This is the post I was referring to. The VAT being paid twice comment was mine, I forgot to account for business claiming back on VAT.
            the method I use to reduce my cost hit is to use non-VAT services where possible. Small hotels (or even better cash hotels), train travel (although I make money on mileage so prefer that - in fact I often take a train but charge my client mileage), small restaurants.

Of course this is only relevant if the client wants to see receipts which is not something you have to do, but they'll often refuse to pay if you don't.
            An ideal scenario is where the client accepts an expense limit, and you then bill them for that + VAT.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              train travel (although I make money on mileage so prefer that - in fact I often take a train but charge my client mileage),
              Don't think HMRC would take too kindly to this

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
                and why not?
                I'm not defrauding HMRC. My claim from my own company is genuine and valid.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
                  So long as he's not claiming mileage from HisCo personally when he gets the train, its got nothing to do with HMRC. Its between HisCo and the client what he charges them for travel costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    other posters are quite right. You put VAT on everything you charge !or else!

I have a client who doesn't like to pay VAT on VAT so they insist that I deduct the VAT from expenses before before I claim. On FRS this equates to me giving them a discount, but then again I'm making 5.5% on VAT anyway. So all good.
                    just to be pedantic

net invoice =X
                    gross invoice =1.2X

on FRS 14.5% (assuming that's where you got your 5.5% from)
                    VAT received from client = 0.2X
                    VAT paid to HMRC =0.145*1.2X =0.174X

VAT "made" from FRS = 0.2X-0.174X =0.026X = 2.6%

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                      So long as he's not claiming mileage from HisCo personally when he gets the train, its got nothing to do with HMRC. Its between HisCo and the client what he charges them for travel costs.
                      Agreed, but that wasn't clear from the post I quoted.

Comment

Working...
                      X