• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Comment

Morning all

Sunny.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
        WHS.

Byeeee

Cat waiting for cuddle...

Cat was fast asleep, so cuddle postponed for a later date (this morning)...

Comment

Good morning all!

Morning (again) CM!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Greetings denizens

My room was cleaned today by the cleaner who switches the television to 4music. It always confuses me when I turn it on expecting Radio 4.

Of course, you might think it strange that the radio comes out of the television. I however do not.

In the Sixties, my parents owned a television that also acted as a radio (and had these nice slatted blinds you could draw across the screen when you weren't using it as a telly).

In those days the telly came via VHF, and the Home, Light and Third via Medium and Long Waves. The telly became obsolete when the VHF TV signal was turned off. Of course, one could still get the wireless, but that wasn't good enough for us

But at least my earliest childhood prepared me for the twenty-first century when, once again, the radio comes out of the television
            I remember those... my dad (who worked in a tv/radio shop) used to bring home the old part-exchanges.

Had several late 50s/early 60s Ekco tv sets* with that facility on them...

It never seemed to work stunningly well really... but the cabinets were lovely. Proper treewood plywood with a nice veneer... classic stuff.

*Not the later 60s Ekco sets with the decomposing plastic in the lineoutput transformer... they were distinctly pongy and prone to thermal transients...

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              Is it my imagination, or do I recall our old black and white, two-knob telly being able to pick up the Police at one end of one of the frequencies?
              Nope.

In those dear dead days long beyond recall, the FM band went from 88 to 100MHz.

The plod had VHF comms at around 101MHz or so... until they got moved so that we now have 88 to 108MHz.

Unless you live in Japan or NZ apparently, whose band plans are different.

Comment

Which brings to mind that yesterday, whilst moving the tv thingie in my parents' house, I took the opportunity to polish my Yamaha CT7000 FM tuner.

This cost an astonishing amount of money* in the 1970s and was pretty much state of the art in those days.

Pity about the reverse polarised tantalum capacitors in the signal path though.

It must have had literally hours of use...

*£450 in 1976/7, IIRC.

Comment

Poxy spiders. One cheeky bugger built a web across the landing and was sitting in the middle of it.

I stopped and stared trying to focus on this thing in the distance only to eventually realise it was right in front of my face.

<shudder>
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Morning all

Sunny.
                    Gosh, aren't you just, this morning.
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                      Good morning all!

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                      Morning (again) CM!

Comment

Working...
                      X