• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evening denizens

I've spent the last two days ploughing through some of the lousiest code I've seen in years

To be fair, the chap who assigned me to this bit of work did say at the start that it might be best to throw it away and start again - this I have now done

I've already worked out how to replace about three hundred lines of the existing PHP with two SQL queries. Given that the PHP was doing the same thing by constructing lots of little SQL queries, iterating over the results at each step to work out how to get the next little SQL query built, it made sense to just get the database to actually use its selecting, sorting, filtering and aggregating functionality to do the same thing

I think I'm running at around one character of SQL to one line of PHP replaced at the moment

Anyway, it's chucking out time. Being a small company, one can only stay as late as the last keyholder, and they all seem to have this peculiar obsession with work-life balance which is totally unhelpful to a contractor working out of reach of home

Still, home tomorrow - I'll have quite a bit of catching up to do here in TPD

Comment

Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Population
        1993 Revenues
        460950 € Unemployment 1 %
        Transport 99 %
        Crime rate 1 %
        Pollution 0 %

rank=319
        12 February: A new inhabitant has come to TPDVille.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
          A likely story... you're lurking for the 00 and the PALI.

You carsent fool I....
          No really, I had to attend a geek fest. There was free coffee and biscuits too

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Evening denizens

I've spent the last two days ploughing through some of the lousiest code I've seen in years

To be fair, the chap who assigned me to this bit of work did say at the start that it might be best to throw it away and start again - this I have now done

I've already worked out how to replace about three hundred lines of the existing PHP with two SQL queries. Given that the PHP was doing the same thing by constructing lots of little SQL queries, iterating over the results at each step to work out how to get the next little SQL query built, it made sense to just get the database to actually use its selecting, sorting, filtering and aggregating functionality to do the same thing

I think I'm running at around one character of SQL to one line of PHP replaced at the moment

Anyway, it's chucking out time. Being a small company, one can only stay as late as the last keyholder, and they all seem to have this peculiar obsession with work-life balance which is totally unhelpful to a contractor working out of reach of home

Still, home tomorrow - I'll have quite a bit of catching up to do here in TPD
            Glad to see you're enjoying yourself...

7 weeks and 1 day to go...

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
              No really, I had to attend a geek fest. There was free coffee and biscuits too
              Jammy dodgers?

Comment

Originally posted by ControlG View Post
                What's the betting that VF is lurking around for the century?
                Slim I'd say

Comment

Ever so good to hear that the Japanese will be building the next lot of high speed trains.

Something else we can't do in this country thanks to the idiots in the Major government.

Comment

So here we are again...

I do find Thursdays tiring...

Particularly the afternoon.

Comment

Though it must be said that it's considerably less boring than Wednesdays, when I can often go without seeing another soul.

Comment

Working...
                      X