• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This HD recorder of mine is a total crock of dung

Maybe I'm overly fussy, but I think a consumer appliance really shouldn't crash and display a stack trace on the screen, complete with the name of the file and the line therein where it crashed - they seem to have released a debug version, but not to have fixed the bugs

It's written in C, if you're interested

Comment

Actually, if I ever get around to buying a decent telly to replace my existing twenty-year-old box before I hurl this damn recorder through the window, I'll have to take a photo of the screen with the stack trace and post it on failblog.

It fails way down in a disk sector allocation routine - they obviously never tried determining what happens if disk space runs low in the middle of a recording.

All well and good (apart from being epic fail) but it really shouldn't say that it's got x hours of space left, then fail after x*0.3 hours.

Off the top of my head, I reckon they probably use FAT or FAT-32 as their disk format. The "remaining time" calculation is probably based on the total size of the number of free sectors - but of course, in said formats, this is not the same size as "the largest file that can be saved". At the point where these two unrelated interpretations of "free space" cease to coincide in reality, it crashes

As it doesn't seem to have a defrag option, I'll have to watch all the crap on it, burn the worthwhile bits to DVD, then reformat the damn thing

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Actually, if I ever get around to buying a decent telly to replace my existing twenty-year-old box before I hurl this damn recorder through the window, I'll have to take a photo of the screen with the stack trace and post it on failblog.

It fails way down in a disk sector allocation routine - they obviously never tried determining what happens if disk space runs low in the middle of a recording.

All well and good (apart from being epic fail) but it really shouldn't say that it's got x hours of space left, then fail after x*0.3 hours.

Off the top of my head, I reckon they probably use FAT or FAT-32 as their disk format. The "remaining time" calculation is probably based on the total size of the number of free sectors - but of course, in said formats, this is not the same size as "the largest file that can be saved". At the point where these two unrelated interpretations of "free space" cease to coincide in reality, it crashes

As it doesn't seem to have a defrag option, I'll have to watch all the crap on it, burn the worthwhile bits to DVD, then reformat the damn thing
        Can't you recode it?

Comment

morning all

Comment

Population
            1739 Revenues
            401100 € Unemployment 1 %
            Transport 100 %
            Crime rate 2 %
            Pollution 2 %

rank=300

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Merry Christmas All

The OG family is off abroad tomorrow. Hope you all have a good one. Don't spend too much time on Christmas Day posting on tpd. If you want to escape the family, be real men (and women) and go up to the petrol station and check your tyre pressures.

Take care

OG
              Merry Christmas to you too

Comment

Triple witching today

Comment

All quiet so far : but I am very nervous.

Comment

Its the biggest one ever for clientco : but they say that every time.

Comment

After today I have 2 weeks off.

Comment

Working...
                      X