• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually felt vaguely inspired tonight

When we were all drinking tulip foreign bottled beer after the end of @media this year, my erstwhile colleague Drew McLellan and I were discussing my other erstwhile colleague Stuart Langridge's presentation about underused HTTP response status codes (one of my favourite subjects, but I should have realised that Langridge, Whom God Preserve, would use them as stepping stones to fame and fortune before I ever got around to it).

Drew postulated that somebody ought to write a PHP module that would make it easy to send the appropriate status code without having to worry too much about the details. I assume that he meant the kind of thing that checks the client and sends (when appropriate, of course) a "303 See Other" for clients that claim to be HTTP/1.1, but a "302 Found" for HTTP/1.0 clients that don't grasp the subtle distinction between the two.

However, this implies adding some mechanism for specifying the intent of the response, in such a manner as can be understood by the average bozo writing PHP with no understanding, but merely a vague hope that, if they tinker with it enough, it'll start to do what they wanted (if only on Tuesdays).

Catering for imbeciles can be hard... maybe I should make it work properly first (i.e. for non-bozos like Drew), then seek to educate the imbeciles through documentation describing assorted use cases for the different status codes.

Actually, that sounds like it might be a win - I think I'll do that

Comment

Ooh, goody

I just got an email to tell me that my long-awaited payment from Mr. Victor Brown (of Nigeria) is now ready to be transferred to me

Oh, hang on - they need my fax number

I don't have one of those - in fact my landline hasn't worked for over eighteen months now, and I can't be bothered to report it to NTL (or Virgin, or whatever they're calling themselves now) and have it fixed

Just think... if only I'd reported my broken phone line, and bought a fax machine off eBay's "Antiquities" section, I could be rich in the time it takes to be abducted in a taxi at Schipol airport, driven to a remote part of the Dutch countryside, shot through the head after surrendering my wallet, and dumped over the edge of a polder into a dyke

Ah well... another missed opportunity

Comment

I see that RC has added a link to one of my posts to his sig

"If in doubt, follow the chimp" - that's what they said in MacArthur Maze, and see where that got them

Comment

Good morning all!

Comment

morning all

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
              Sweetheart - Oslo is the capital of Norway!!

Hey Doggie, btw
              Good morning gorgeous!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                Good morning gorgeous!
                Hello

Oops - forgot the hug!!
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                  morning all
                  Hey Monkey
                  Bazza gets caught

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                    Hey Monkey
                    Hiya CM

Good weekend ?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                      Hiya CM

Good weekend ?
                      Yes, thanks

You?
                      Bazza gets caught

Comment

Working...
                      X