• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Much strangeness on the Tube tonight...

Upon alighting from the last train to Edgware, the northernmost extremity of one branch of the Northern Line, I was heading towards the stairs when I was approached by a chap who had alighted from the carriage before mine and had then been wandering about the platform near the stairs, apparently in some confusion (closely but surreptitiously observed by myself as I headed towards his wandering zone - you never know what people are going to do at this time of night).

He excused himself in a polite and reasonably sober tone, explaining that he had planned to travel to Edgware Road, but now found himself here in Edgware, and wondered if I knew whether there were any more trains to his intended destination

Glancing at the electronic destination signs, I explained that he could get back on the train we'd just alighted from to travel as far as Golders Green, but he'd then have to take a night bus. He seemed eager to please, stating with some enthusiasm that he could take a night bus (the way somebody might say that they'd passed the eleven plus, or had a swimming certificate), but wondered if there were night buses from Edgware?

I assured him that there were, but that I had no knowledge of their stops or schedules; luckily, a London Underground employee came wandering by at this point, so I suggested that he seek further advice from them and got out of there while the getting out was good.

I managed to avoid pointing out that Edgware Road, where he wanted to be, is one of only two names on the entire Tube network that are shared between two separate and distinct Tube stations situated some distance from each other (one on the Bakerloo Line, the other straddling the Circle, District and Hammersmith and City lines), the other such duplicated name being Shepherd's Bush (with one on the Hammersmith and City Line and the other on the Central Line).

I assumed that imparting this information would only muddy the waters...

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      Bon Soir ma petits driveleurs

Had the big day today - we took 60m swiss francs (about 30m GBP) and beat Christies

So everyone's happy and another extension could be on the cards

Jolly good

Hitting the minibar in celebration, by any chance?

Comment

Anyway, nighty night all - not only do we have our morning meetings earlier now, but I strongly suspect that I'll suddenly get a load of stuff to do that it would be better to get out of the way tomorrow if I'm to leave on a high next Thursday

Damn UED people... it's been on his to-do list since last week, but unfortunately he's also working for another team, and I somehow got put on the back burner

But this application is my baby, and I'll stay on into tomorrow afternoon, if it means getting it where we planned it to be before my final departure

See you tomorrow... even if it's only after getting back up the motorway at midnight

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I managed to avoid pointing out that Edgware Road, where he wanted to be, is one of only two names on the entire Tube network that are shared between two separate and distinct Tube stations situated some distance from each other (one on the Bakerloo Line, the other straddling the Circle, District and Hammersmith and City lines), the other such duplicated name being Shepherd's Bush (with one on the Hammersmith and City Line and the other on the Central Line).

I assumed that imparting this information would only muddy the waters...
          what about Canary Wharf Jubilee Line and Canary Wharf DLR they are 2 distinct stations as you can't go driect from 1 to t'other ??

and also Shadwell ELL and Shadwell DLR (although the former is shut now)

not sure about Paddington is that 2 seperate stations
          Last edited by AndyGarbs; 16 May 2008, 06:55.
          Married

Comment

and did you know that Mile End is the only tube station that has separate platforms for 'Cut and Cover (District and H&C)' lines and 'Deep Lines (Central)
            Married

Comment

Morning all

Another day in paradise

Actually, today I have very little work to do and the onlt thing in my diary is a 3 hour pub lunch

Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

morning

well technically i finish at about 10am but as i don't want ot be hanging around kings Cross all day i will stay here and surf or do my Finances
                Married

Comment

Morning all

Here we is again...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                    Byeeee... they haven't finished, but there can't be that long to wait now...

Indeed.

A mere 15 mins later I was on my way...

Comment

Originally posted by El_Diablo View Post
                      Oh no it's gone all cold and dark, bye bye sunshine
                      It's even colder this morning... it was 20.5C yesterday, today it's 19.5C...

This message was brought to you by the Lidl Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer.

Comment

Working...
                      X