• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Liver (of census taker) with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Onion gravy would go down well too...
    Onion gravy.... mmmmmmn yum
    Eeyore was very glad to be able to stop thinking for a little, in order to say "How do you do" in a gloomy manner to Pooh.
    "And how are you?" said Winnie-the-Pooh.
    Eeyore shook his head from side to side. "Not very how," he said. "I don't seem to felt at all how for a long time."

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
        In the Olden Days, you used to get program listings in the computer mags, you would spend hours typing them into your computer only to find there was a fatal eror in the printout somewhere.
        Good way of learning how to debug other people's spaghetti code, though

I remember one long one that my dad had typed into his BBC Micro... wrestled with it, checked, double checked, triple checked... in the end he waited for me to come home from Uni for the hols.

A quick look and I was able to see that there was a stray speck of ink on the plate when the mag was printed, which was shaped almost perfectly like a comma, and appeared in a space between two characters where no comma should be

Removed the errant comma from the code, and it ran perfectly

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Afternoon denizens

Comment

Good way of learning how to debug other people's spaghetti code, though
            In the early days that was possible, but nearer the end of the "type your own game" era, they started to do more in machine code, so you just had long lines of comma separated data which was poked into memory by the program and executed, and if one of those numbers was wrong, you had no idea what was going on unless you could read machine code (which I could, )

Removed the errant comma from the code, and it ran perfectly
            hah, it could almost be a Jonathan Creek storyline.
            Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

To the tune of ‘Swing Low’ the rugby anthem

Please go, sweet Harriet
              Go away and never come home
              Please go, sweet Harriet
              Fathers want their children home...

(and not stuck in bloody court for donkey’s years!)

Comment

I see Zeity's on the campaign trail
                Last edited by NickFitz; 9 July 2008, 15:47. Reason: Not the RSS link, please

Comment

How about a thread all about the joys (or lack thereof) of the ASSIGNED GOTO in FORTRAN?

http://objectmix.com/programming-lan...-web-site.html

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                    In the early days that was possible, but nearer the end of the "type your own game" era, they started to do more in machine code, so you just had long lines of comma separated data which was poked into memory by the program and executed, and if one of those numbers was wrong, you had no idea what was going on unless you could read machine code (which I could, )
                    This was one of the advantages of using Acorn machines - they had an assembler built-in to the BASIC interpreter, so the listings included the assembly language source.

That's how I started learning 6502, which was ultimately to lead to my first real job as a Junior Systems Software Engineer, writing control software for Teletext transmission units in Forth and assembler

Comment

You'm got a http: too many in that there thingy...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/c.../2008/jul/08/1

Comment

Working...
                      X