• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oblate spheroids

An oblate spheroid is a rotationally symmetric ellipsoid having a polar axis shorter than the diameter of the equatorial circle whose plane bisects it. An M&M's candy (plain) (US) or Smartie (Canada, UK and Europe) is an approximate example of an oblate spheroid

It can be formed by rotating an ellipse about its minor axis, forming an equator with the end points of the major axis. As with all ellipsoids, it can also be described by the lengths of three mutually perpendicular principal axes, which are in this case two arbitrary equatorial semi-major axes and one semi-minor axis.

The opposite of oblate is prolate.

For a discussion of the physics that determines the shape of a spinning celestial body, see Equatorial bulge
    The aspect ratio, b:a, is the ratio of the polar to equatorial lengths[citation needed], while the flattening (also called oblateness), f, is the ratio of the equatorial-polar length difference to the equatorial length:

These are just two of several different parameters used to define an ellipse and its solid body counterparts, all of which are ultimately trigonometric functions of the ellipse's modular angle, or angular eccentricity.

The oblate spheroid is interesting because it is the approximate shape of many planets and celestial bodies, including most notably Saturn and Altair, but also to a lesser extent the Earth (with a = 6378.137 km and b ≈ 6356.752 km, providing an aspect ratio of 0.99664717 and inverse flattening of 298.2572 [1]). It is therefore the geometric figure most used for defining reference ellipsoids, upon which cartographic and geodetic systems are based.
    Last edited by AndyGarbs; 23 April 2008, 07:01.
    Married

Comment

yes century for me

Married

Comment

Ok, so I know this goes against everything I said but I'm off out on another date with that 32 year old.

What can I say...I need a shag its been a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          Ok, so I know this goes against everything I said but I'm off out on another date with that 32 year old.

morning SP

can't really comment

although CM might give you a
          Married

Comment

AndyGarbs
            Lurker not a fighter

century

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post

Want to know what a long while without a shag is?

Try get married.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Want to know what a long while without a shag is?

Try get married.

HTH
                or a long-term relationship

<thinks CM will BP and AG as well>
                Married

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post
                  Oh Dear (TM)

Not like xmas when you get about 4 weeks off then!
                  3 weeks; that all comes out of my annual leave of 21 days...

We hewers of wood & drawers of water don't get the same terms & conditions as the academics, with their 35 days annual leave & working from home (Pah!)...

Comment

Originally posted by El_Diablo View Post
                    Bye Zeity, be good.
                    Don't seem to have much choice about that these days...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                      I've just made some random friend requesdts on facebook..

I've not logged in for a whiel and I had a few outstanding requesdts.

I can't work out the names to CUK memember ?
                      Ah.

That was you was it...

Comment

Working...
                      X