• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I set off a bit early as it's right next to M&S, where I was able to pick up my new coat, with which I'm pretty pleased

Comment

It's been a good day at the coal face. Now pondering the best way to work out how to determine if one element of an array of strings is contained within another string. It's a bit of a reverse of the normal.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        It's been a good day at the coal face. Now pondering the best way to work out how to determine if one element of an array of strings is contained within another string. It's a bit of a reverse of the normal.
        In JavaScript, assuming variables array_of_strings and putative_superstring, you can do:

Code:
        return array_of_strings.some(value => putative_superstring.includes(value));
        Though to work on IE, which doesn't support ES6:

Code:
        return array_of_strings.some(function(value) { return putative_superstring.indexOf(value) != -1; });
        Last edited by NickFitz; 19 October 2021, 18:20. Reason: Doh! Arrow functions are part of ES6; need a plain old function :)

Comment

That's all a bit

Mostly because I know sweet FA about JavaScript

In the meantime, I distracted myself by finishing S6 of Marvel's Agents of the increasingly implausible SHIELD.

Bring back the Oak Island nutjobs, all is forgiven!

Comment

Turns out, watching tat on the telly is perfect for fixing tricky problems.

All solved with:
            Code:
            =INDEX($A$2:$A$5,MATCH(1,ISNUMBER(SEARCH($A$2:$A$5 ,C2))*1,0))
            Entered as an array formula so it gets some curly brackets around it

Comment

Tea has been ribs and chips

I didn't really have the energy to make the lamb shanks, so they'll be done tomorrow when (I hope) the booster jab's side effects have diminished

It's not as bad as the first couple of times, I don't think, but it has made me feel pretty tired after a few hours

Comment

Teaming it down here. Watched GBBO then Judy Dench on WDYTYA.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Turns out, watching tat on the telly is perfect for fixing tricky problems.

All solved with:
                  Code:
                  =INDEX($A$2:$A$5,MATCH(1,ISNUMBER(SEARCH($A$2:$A$5 ,C2))*1,0))
                  Entered as an array formula so it gets some curly brackets around it
                  my goodness no Vlookup?????? Pat yourself on the back!

Once you use it to retrieve more than one column from data match wins hands down. On large amounts of data match just performs better.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

A few drops of rain here in the PRS.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Been raining here for a couple of hours or more, off and on but mainly on. This is predicted to continue with little in the way of a break throughout tomorrow, and there's even the chance of a thunderstorm around lunchtime

Telly was Traffic Cops whilst dining

And after that, the rather more peaceful environs of The Repair Shop

Feeling pretty beat now, presumably due to the vaccine, so an early night seems like a good idea

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X