• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In car maintenance news:

Oil check - level good, nice and clean
    Tyre pressure check - a little low on a couple but nothing drastic, all now up to 35 psi
    Battery check - dead, needed a jump start and left on tick over for 20 minutes. That'll be enough (esp. if the solar trickle charger does its job) to start it in the morning

I was pleased to see I had the presence of mind when I parked it up to not engage the handbrake.

Status has been reported to my Dad, who is pleased. He has also suggested I keep a decent distance from cars in front and not drive too fast as the brakes may have a layer of rust on them until I've used them a bit.

All ready to pootle down to the parentals tomorrow.

Comment

I was planning to go shopping tonight, but it felt like it would be a bit of a pain after work. So I thought of putting it off to tomorrow, but that'll be one of only two days I get to relax properly this long weekend, what with driving south on Saturday and Zoom calling on Sunday.

So I took advantage of lack of SDC and went just now

Massive flashback to a year ago on arriving at Sainsbury's as there was a queue around the side of the store

But it was only about five people round the side of the store, including me, and we were all let in within a minute or so, rather than the hour or more of last year

So a fairly Big Shop was done, as I haven't been there in person in over a month, I think. I'll probably also pop in on the way home on Saturday as they've got a 25%-off-six-or-more deal on various wines, including one I rather like; but I couldn't carry loads of that in from the car in one go, and I was in a rush to get back so I don't have to spend half the evening at the computer

I wasn't sure how the car would be, as I haven't used it in a month or so either - last time was its MOT, I think. But the overnight charge of the battery I did before that has clearly done it good, as it started straight away

All this means I haven't had time for lunch, so now I'm going to make a pot of tea and have some delicious and nutritious jam doughnuts while I work

Comment

Bah! Like to be out having a nice walk in the hazy sun but hanging around in the house waiting for delivery of a new washing machine. Think there's an evil spirit in the kitchen, in last 18 months also had problems with microwave, dishwasher and lights.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Lunch was Bratwurst and potato salad at son's place with his wife and my grandsprogs. Dinner will be fish curry with rice. Enjoying my first holiday beer now.

Managed to resolve four bugs in our latest support pack. Two have been lurking for years, one is cause by SAP changing stuff in their latest releases - and another one was mine.

I complained to the post office that I'd not received a parcel they said they'd delivered. Turned out if had gone to my wife's employer. Apparently I sent it to that address (from last time I bought something on their behalf)..... oops. The post responded very quickly, so I just had to apologise. The problem lay between keyboard and chair. Anyway, I've now got my four pairs of reading glasses - two full sized, two minis that can stick to my phone. They just don't last very long. Cheap though.

Tomorrow, into the woods for BBQ with whole (local) family. I've prepared a slab of feta, added black pepper, paprika and a bayleaf, drizzled olive oil over it, and wrapped in foil. It'll be very yummy from the grill.

It was 24C today and clear blue skies.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

If you pronouce it "patt-ee-o" you're common. But if you say "paysheo" you're not

HTH
            Surely patio rhymes with ratio?
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Surely patio rhymes with ratio?
              yes, exactly what I was badly trying to describe

Comment

Anyway, I've now got my four pairs of reading glasses
                The evil monkey steels glasses. Lost a pair of quite expensive computer glasses, never taken them outside the house but can't find them anywhere.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

yes, exactly what I was badly trying to describe
                  I got it

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

The evil monkey steels glasses. Lost a pair of quite expensive computer glasses, never taken them outside the house but can't find them anywhere.
                    I've got some prescription sunglasses. Not a clue where they are, I haven't had to drive anywhere for so long; that's all I used them for

Might have a look and see if I can find them for the journey on Saturday

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

I've got some prescription sunglasses. Not a clue where they are, I haven't had to drive anywhere for so long; that's all I used them for

Might have a look and see if I can find them for the journey on Saturday
                      Found them! Well, I think it's them; they're in an older frame than my normal ones, but I think I did that to save money as I only wear them when driving. They'd fallen down behind the bedside cabinet

I seem to be able to see well enough to drive with them judging from looking out of the window, so they'll do

Comment

Working...
                      X