• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I turned the telly off and decided to read a book. Glad I missed out on not seeing comfortably numb.

Reading Natives: Race & Class in the Ruins of Empire. It's written by a mixed race man of African/Carribbean/English/Scottish descent. That'd get some in General all foamy mouthed.
      Spooky. I have the same book to read on my floor somewhere.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Oh morning.

I have no where to put my recycling. A firm email will be written tomorrow evening if the situation isn't resolved tomorrow day.

I get fecked off with people lying because they don't want to do their job.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Morning all.

Overcast with white cloud. Currently 12 degrees with a forecast high of 16. Cloud cover not likely to lift. Low chance of precipitation this evening. Barometer up to 1009 mBar.

Toast and marmite (two slices) being eaten and washed down with a coffee.

I'm still "thinking" about my living/dining room reorganisation.

Comment

Morning all

Dry.

Sunny.

CBS.

Cold. 15.9 deg in here when I got up, 16.0 deg now.

1015 mBar and 65% RH.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Zoom call about to start
              And done

It was all very shambolic this time. It started late because the host opened Zoom and it immediately insisted on downloading and installing an update, which took a while on their ten-year-old laptop. Then when we finally got in, our parents were supposedly present but couldn't be seen. Eventually, it was discovered that they were trying to do it from their desktop computer… which doesn't have a camera

So then they had to try again, presumably using the Amazon tablet my brother gave them, but which I suspect had been "put away" in the month or so since the last Zoom call so they had to find it. They finally got that going and joined the meeting with video and audio, and about a minute later our time was up and Zoom ended the meeting

At my end, my external speakers weren't working for some reason. I tried fiddling around with the settings, and in the end had to use the internal iMac speakers, which (unsurprisingly) turned out to be better than the internal speakers on my second monitor (an LG). Eventually I realised that although the little green LED on the external speakers' volume control (a rotary thing that sits on the desk) was on, this did not reflect the state of the little on/off switch on the side which had accidentally been set to "off" at some point; so I had to turn that on then reach round the back of the iMac to plug them back into the headphone socket.

And finally, Zoom switched to "mute" being enabled by default a while ago so we all knew to turn our sound back on at the start, but with this latest update they've also switched to video being off by default, so we all had to work out where in the user interface the relevant button was, which wasn't as easy as it might be as it's in a toolbar that hides itself by default after a few seconds. Also, the UI is different on Windows and Mac, so although those of us on Macs were able to find it quickly enough, we couldn't help the Windows people as they hunted through various menus

Ah well, we'll all know for next time
              Last edited by NickFitz; 27 September 2020, 09:09.

Comment

But everyone's well? And your brother's house is finally being fixed?

Comment

Morning all.

Overcast with white cloud. Currently 12 degrees with a forecast high of 16. Cloud cover not likely to lift. Low chance of precipitation this evening. Barometer up to 1009 mBar.

Toast and marmite (two slices) being eaten and washed down with a coffee.

I'm still "thinking" about my living/dining room reorganisation.
                  Shamefully forgot to add that the bed has been stripped and the first load (duvet cover) is in the WM.

I finally got around to putting away the clothes washing I did in the week so I have somewhere to put the bed linen when it comes out.

Comment

But everyone's well? And your brother's house is finally being fixed?
                    Yes, apparently he should be back home in a fortnight or so now they've got some competent people on the job rather than the electrician who didn't know what he was doing. (He didn't join the meeting, presumably because of hotel wifi or something.)

Last Friday, the hotel the insurance company has put them in was fully booked, as the insurance company will only book it a week in advance despite knowing the work will take longer than that. So they had to pack everything up, go to a different hotel, then go back to the original hotel on the Saturday. This has happened more than once…

Comment

Mundane laundry on; quite a lot of it as I haven't got around to it for over a week

Giving it a full wash rather than the time saver.

Comment

Working...
                      X