• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all
    A bit misty out earlier.

Started another sourdough yesterday morning, but it was coming along so well, I decided to bake it last night. Turned out rather delicious.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning all!

Daily Report
      ########

Location - Anglesey

Weather - Bright and sunny!

Parish Notes - Arrived at the homestead, there's another four legged animal here. A little shetland... I shall investigate and report back.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Sunflowers have poked their first green shoots, germinated from seeds planted last Wednesday.

Baby Oak has emerged - Tall oaks from little acorns grow.
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Morning all
          A bit misty out earlier.

Started another sourdough yesterday morning, but it was coming along so well, I decided to bake it last night. Turned out rather delicious.
          Ah. Now there's an interesting conundrum.

A friend is enduring their co-dependent sourdough relationship. They keep their starter in the fridge, take it out in the morning, chuck half away, feed it and (I presume) leave it somewhere warm to do its thing, before making a loaf in the evening. I guess the remains are returned to the fridge for when they next need to make bread.

I said I didn't think one day of feeding was enough to revive it for baking with. Maybe that's more to do with my flat being quite cold.

Comment

Good morning

Dull but it's stopped raining. Not yet checked the forecast to see if there's more due.

Felt reasonably warm when I popped out to the patio to empty the plant pot saucers that were overflowing.

First coffee being drunk. First meeting in 5 minutes.

Had an unsettled night's sleep, with my right leg being especially irritable.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Ah. Now there's an interesting conundrum.

A friend is enduring their co-dependent sourdough relationship. They keep their starter in the fridge, take it out in the morning, chuck half away, feed it and (I presume) leave it somewhere warm to do its thing, before making a loaf in the evening. I guess the remains are returned to the fridge for when they next need to make bread.

I said I didn't think one day of feeding was enough to revive it for baking with. Maybe that's more to do with my flat being quite cold.

Only put it in the fridge if you're not going to use it for over a week.
              Keep it warm and feed it every day.

Put it like this, if you use 200g of starter in your bread, then between bakes you need to feed it at least 200g.
              If you dump that much into it in one go, it will take a day or more to recover. If you go for 50g a day, then every 4 days you have 200g, slowly built up, all active.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Whilst dining, I started watching the latest Panorama. Turns out the government's incompetence led to them failing to protect the NHS and save lives during this wholly foreseen pandemic, and they have repeatedly lied through their teeth about it to save their own skins. What a surprise

And then back to good old-fashioned reading, finishing off The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

Still raining off and on; the seers reckon it might stop for a while from the early hours, only to start again later in the day

Goodnight all
                The foreseen pandemic? In January China and the WHO were claiming it wasn't passable from human to human, it was from eating contaminated bats. Or do you mean because a book from 1981 supposedly predicted it? Come on, Nick, had you down as more realistic than AtW.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  The foreseen pandemic? In January China and the WHO were claiming it wasn't passable from human to human, it was from eating contaminated bats. Or do you mean because a book from 1981 supposedly predicted it? Come on, Nick, had you down as more realistic than AtW.
                  I read his post as tongue in cheek reporting of how the Panorama programme represented things. They do tend towards the overly preachy/dramatic in style.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Only put it in the fridge if you're not going to use it for over a week.
                    Keep it warm and feed it every day.

Put it like this, if you use 200g of starter in your bread, then between bakes you need to feed it at least 200g.
                    If you dump that much into it in one go, it will take a day or more to recover. If you go for 50g a day, then every 4 days you have 200g, slowly built up, all active.
                    That's what I do. I think they're only using a small amout of starter in whatever recipe they're following and are doing the throw half away method of feeding. And I'm not sure they're taking it for a walk around the garden either.

Mine gets left by the kitchen window for 10 mins if it's warm out (which it has been) as a walk around my patio takes less than 30 seconds

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                      Sunflowers have poked their first green shoots, germinated from seeds planted last Wednesday.

Baby Oak has emerged - Tall oaks from little acorns grow.
                      My Dad had an acorn that he'd kept for years and years, I can't remember where it came from or why he had it.

One day he decided he ought to plant it out. For some reason, my brother is a dab hand at bonsai so he took the wee acorn under his wing and ultimately my Dad ended up with a nicely potted tree about 3 foot high. Then some ants decided the tub was perfect for a nest and the damage they caused killed it off.

Interesting though that, if kept out of the ground for a long time in dry conditions, an acorn will still be viable many years later when it is finally planted.

Comment

Working...
                      X