• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Just popped over to Sainsbury's Local and it's dashed cold now, and getting colder

The pizza shop has its power back, but seems to have given up on the idea of opening while the pavement immediately in front of the place remains a yawning chasm.
    is there an axe nearby??
    or a dog with too many heads?

on the dinner front:
    tinned haggis (presented to me by a dutch neighbour when i remigrated) - should be an abomination in theory, but surprisingly good, with hash browns and peas

Comment

Porterhouse steak and chips for tea

The chicken soup, to which lentils were added a few hours ago, has now been turned off so it can cool overnight ready for lunch tomorrow, or freezing for most of it.

Comment

watching TOGWT anniversary thingy on BBC4.
        makes my sig rather poignant

Comment

TFBSZ
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Tonight's audiovisual entertainment started with the final episode of Generation Kill, which I hadn't got around to watching for months.

And then: The Thomas Crown Affair (1968). This suffers from one of the same problems that early Bond films do, which is that they show a bunch of stuff that is intended to make the protagonist's lifestyle seem impossibly glamorous, much of which now seems almost mundane.

So whereas a Bond film could captivate a 1960s audience merely by showing him jetting off to the Caribbean, that isn't particularly impressive to a modern audience whose Auntie Flo went there last year and a couple of years before that and is thinking of buying a timeshare there.

(Note that Skyfall was able to have its denouement on a godforsaken rain-soaked Scottish glen which nobody in their right mind would aspire to go anywhere near, and which therefore wouldn't have stood the slightest chance of being a setting in a 1960s Bond.)

In the same vein, Thomas Crown is shown to be wealthy and therefore to be envied because he's got a glider, which isn't so cool when even Dunstable has a glider club, and plays polo, which is now regarded as the preserve of Hooray Henry *******.

And the scene with him and Faye Dunaway supposedly acting seductively towards each other over a game of chess is quite laughable in its abundance of "erotic" cinematic tropes, while a modern film would have them licking each other (rather than their own fingers) within thirty seconds.

Also, that split screen thing was a bad idea then, and remains a bad idea.

But apart from all that it's a fairly decent caper

I may even watch the modern remake some time, though I have no idea if it's any good.

Goodnight all

Comment

Feels cold.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Morning all heavy frost outside, clear skies, a nice day for picking up the toy.

Comment

Toy here.
                  Toy now has full tank.
                  Toy handles like a go-cart
                  WTFH happy.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Toy here.
                    Toy now has full tank.
                    Toy handles like a go-cart