• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Much thought about URLs tonight...

Assuming the http://testpleasedelete.com at the start, one might create such wonders as:

/consecutive/posts/by/AtW/in/2007/12

and

/AtW/consecutive/posts/in/2007/12

and

/posts/by/AtW/consecutively/during/2007/12

all of which would return the same data, but give a "natural language" feel to the URLs, and be trivial to implement.

However, the search engines can get a bit grumpy over the same content being available at different URLs, although it doesn't contravene any standards.

So they created various techniques whereby one can let their spiders know that "x/y/z" is the canonical URL, whereas "stuff/x/having/y/being/z", although it may point to the same resource (and remember, all they can see is whatever is returned when they do an HTTP GET - they can't divine your intentions) should be treated as if it was "x/y/z", and the search results page (SRP) should point to "x/y/z", and not the other.

This gives us two wins (to my knowledge - there may be other wins I'm unaware of, or don't remember at this time of night): our sites aren't penalised in search engine rankings for showing the same content at multiple URLs, which is a classic search engine spamming tactic; and we know that we can extend our interfaces (interfaces being the URLs we provide content for) without breaking existing highly-ranked linkage, whereby we might lose our existing search engine ranking for valid content which we merely choose to make available by an additional route.

So the question then becomes: which URL schema do we define as the primary URL?

I reckon the username-based one (e.g. /AtW/consecutive/posts/in/2007/12/31/23:00) should be canonical, but let me know what you think

(Those smilies are playing musical chairs again... took me ages to find just then )

Comment

Oh FFS, the light bulb's gone in the bathroom (which has no window, not even borrowed light) and the ceiling's about ten feet up

I'm not even going to contemplate using the stepladder at this time of night...

And now the downstairs neighbour has come home (rather out of it, judging by the way he closed the front door) and started playing some genre of music I don't know the name of very loudly - it might be rap, or trip-hop, or something.

I think I'll stick an episode of The Shield on the DVD player to mask it

(Is it just me, or am I starting to sound like Wilmslow? He's not one of my drearbots, honest )

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        I think I'll stick an episode of The Shield on the DVD player to mask it
        Well, that was a total win - one of the best episodes of the first season

Although the authoritative URL leaves a lot to be desired... clearly

http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/shows/theshield/episodes/index.php?epi_num=105&season_num=1

should be

http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/shows/theshield/season/1/episode/cherrypoppers

and (with one of them being canonical)

http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/shows/theshield/season/1/episode/5

( is the nearest smiley I can think of for correcting URL schemas... but probably also the best )

(It even had leaking toilets, which gave it a certain redolence after the events of last Monday )

Comment

Oh FFS, the light bulb's gone in the bathroom
          It's come on again...

This is definitely one of those situations where you're glad it's working again, but you won't feel comfortable until you know why it stopped working, and then started working again

Comment

Comment

Given the damage you did to your left hand, doesn't it hurt when you wave it (or shall we say, shake it all about) so much?

Night Diver
              Going in for bone grafts on Friday

So will be in hospital for a few days (booring)
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                  Going in for bone grafts on Friday

So will be in hospital for a few days (booring)
                  the very best of luck with it! can you still post from hospital?

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                    rarely see you here these days - I assumed by now your tpd post count would be far higher than mine...

Comment

Well I survived. The chick I shared a room with didn't kill me.

Phew.

Comment

Working...
                      X