• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It occurred to me, as I was wending my weaving, wobbling way from the Tube station back to the hotel, just how much effort is being duplicated throughout the world by web developers (who probably don't come from a software engineering background) re-inventing assorted wheels.

I faced an interesting problem today... a highly experienced chap (who's gone on holiday for a few weeks) had forwarded a link to somebody's solution to the basic problem, but I could tell straight away that it didn't require that much code.

My researches into the fundamental nature of the problem, and the algorithms available to solve it, led me into a number of recondite areas that wouldn't appear immediately relevant until examined closely - but I reckon, as a result of sifting the wheat from the other wheat, that I can do the whole job, better than spec, in about 1/10th as much code - and my code will be clearer and more easily maintainable and reusable (mainly because there won't be so much of it to understand).

I might see about presenting on this theme at a conference or two... something along the lines of "What you don't have to do, because the computer scientists did it for you years ago."

Or, given that a few searches and a critical mind (rather than access to a university library) are all it takes to find these things nowadays, maybe I should go along the lines of "The Correct Use of the World Wide Wheel Repository."

Comment

Anyway, seeing the time on that last post reminds me that I need to crash now, so goodnight and big hugs (manly as appropriate) all

Comment

morning all

Comment

Unemployment 1 %
          Transport 100 %
          Criminality 0 %
          Pollution 0 %

new factory needed please

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
            Anyway, I'm off to cuddle the cat...

Night...
            cuddle or eat?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              It occurred to me, as I was wending my weaving, wobbling way from the Tube station back to the hotel, just how much effort is being duplicated throughout the world by web developers (who probably don't come from a software engineering background) re-inventing assorted wheels.

I faced an interesting problem today... a highly experienced chap (who's gone on holiday for a few weeks) had forwarded a link to somebody's solution to the basic problem, but I could tell straight away that it didn't require that much code.

My researches into the fundamental nature of the problem, and the algorithms available to solve it, led me into a number of recondite areas that wouldn't appear immediately relevant until examined closely - but I reckon, as a result of sifting the wheat from the other wheat, that I can do the whole job, better than spec, in about 1/10th as much code - and my code will be clearer and more easily maintainable and reusable (mainly because there won't be so much of it to understand).

I might see about presenting on this theme at a conference or two... something along the lines of "What you don't have to do, because the computer scientists did it for you years ago."

Or, given that a few searches and a critical mind (rather than access to a university library) are all it takes to find these things nowadays, maybe I should go along the lines of "The Correct Use of the World Wide Wheel Repository."

errr - how does that qualify as drivel?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                It was more interesting than the rather curious Halloween episode of CSI that was on 5 tonight.
                was that the one from the new series?

Comment

are we there yet?

Comment

Originally posted by El_Diablo View Post
                    Sarah I think..or was it...

congrats to the little devil!

Comment

this is going to be a bad day

Comment

Working...
                      X