• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Oh, and did you see my two important posts about the meaninglessness of Government wittering about alcohol consumption?
    The first one explains that they made the "safe amount" figures up.

The second one explains why it's impossible to tell what a "unit of alcohol" is anyway.

I posted them to address your apparent concerns

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
      I certainly did.... sod those bloddy unit yokes.... I'm gonna drink whatever I want

Except that I am going to give it up for lent
      You realise that there's no point giving stuff up for Lent unless you also receive the sacrament of Confession?

And that, in order to receive said sacrament, you will have to repent of your fornicatory activities, and truly and sincerely intend never to be such a naughty girl again?

Otherwise you might as well not bother.

Comment

So anyway... there they were, planning to create a postal address schema which looked like:

Organisation Name
        Address Line 1
        Address Line 2
        Address Line 3
        Post Town
        County
        Postcode

(All fields are optional except Address Line 1, Post Town, and Postcode.)

However, to support addresses as they are represented in the PAF, what you need is

Organisation Name
        Address Line 1
        Address Line 2
        Address Line 3
        Address Line 4
        Post Town
        Postcode

because the PAF, by default, doesn't contain county data (it's an expensive optional extra but completely unnecessary for most purposes) and does need up to four lines to correctly identify a specific premises within the set of premises identified by a postcode.

Comment

I pointed out to them that their way wouldn't work.

I emailed the right people.

I presented my arguments clearly and cogently.

I was ignored.

Comment

You realise that there's no point giving stuff up for Lent unless you also receive the sacrament of Confession?

And that, in order to receive said sacrament, you will have to repent of your fornicatory activities, and truly and sincerely intend never to be such a naughty girl again?

Otherwise you might as well not bother.
            I do go to confession
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I do go to confession
              I hope you forewarn the priest?

How many hours do you book?

Does he make you write "Hail Mary" on tpd?

Comment

I pointed out to them that their way wouldn't work.

I emailed the right people.

I presented my arguments clearly and cogently.

I was ignored.
                Who said that?

Comment

(By the way, I am aware that the PAF's structure is slightly more complex than that, but for applying the PAF data to everyday situations in a way that can be understood by normal people, the schema I delineate is sufficient, though all the fields I list are necessary.)

Due to their insistence on doing the wrong thing, it became possible to use an automated process to get definitively correct data from the PAF, which was then horribly mangled when put into their database.

A series of ugly hacks were then imposed upon otherwise-elegant systems in an attempt to salvage something useful from the unholy mess.

Meanwhile, I moved on, and no longer had to deal with the consequences of that particular balls-up.

Until today

Comment

I do go to confession
                    "In order for the sacrament to be valid the penitent must do more than simply confess his known mortal sins to a priest. He must a) be truly sorry for each of the mortal sins he committed, b) have a firm intention never to commit them again, and c) perform the penance imposed by the priest."

So you confess your sins, even though you intend to carry on committing them? Oh dear, you lose, no sacrament for you

You might be able to fool the priest, but you can't fool The Lord...

Comment

(By the way, I am aware that the PAF's structure is slightly more complex than that, but for applying the PAF data to everyday situations in a way that can be understood by normal people, the schema I delineate is sufficient, though all the fields I list are necessary.)

Due to their insistence on doing the wrong thing, it became possible to use an automated process to get definitively correct data from the PAF, which was then horribly mangled when put into their database.

A series of ugly hacks were then imposed upon otherwise-elegant systems in an attempt to salvage something useful from the unholy mess.

Meanwhile, I moved on, and no longer had to deal with the consequences of that particular balls-up.

Until today
                      I suppose I will have to read the last 100 pages to find out what PAF is

Comment

Working...
                      X