• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I got married in the mid '90s, my best man had been IT contracting for over 20 years. He always said he missed the boat - got into contracting ten years too late.

I saw an ad for a programmer in the Bahamas paying 100,00 USD per annum tax free. I was within a few months of finishing my college Computer Studies course and looking forward to getting that sort of work. Back in 1984.

For a real shock, go to a meeting of the Institution of Analysts & Programmers. Makes a BCS meeting seem like a 6th form college.
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
      When I got married in the mid '90s, my best man had been IT contracting for over 20 years. He always said he missed the boat - got into contracting ten years too late.

I saw an ad for a programmer in the Bahamas paying 100,00 USD per annum tax free. I was within a few months of finishing my college Computer Studies course and looking forward to getting that sort of work. Back in 1984.

For a real shock, go to a meeting of the Institution of Analysts & Programmers. Makes a BCS meeting seem like a 6th form college.
      I spoke to a few in Computing since the sixties. Thing was that back then they were put in the data input department. Which was almost entirely women. Addd in a few blokes (even ) and they got a very very hard time.

Still the money was ace!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        BTW I am 44 - I have now been in computing for 23.5 years.
        I'm 45. Depending on what you mean by "in computing", either 32 years (since I started to learn programming on the school's PDP8/e) or 23.5 (since I was first employed as a software developer).

So I'm not younger than you

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I'm 45. Depending on what you mean by "in computing", either 32 years (since I started to learn programming on the school's PDP8/e) or 23.5 (since I was first employed as a software developer).

So I'm not younger than you
          damn and blast!

err - why did I want to be older than you? I have completely forgotten. I am a goldfish...

Comment

Oh yes - just checked - So FMB is not

Fisheries Management Biologist

it is *** me boots.

Gosh I need a lie down - is it home time yet?

Comment

Is there a post-forty farties forum?

Or is this it?
              Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

I finally made page one of the top posters list!

DodgyAgent
                Super poster 2,992
                NickFitz
                Super poster 2,826
                Sockpuppet
                Super poster 2,814
                malvolio
                Super poster 2,750
                Fortune Green
                Super poster 2,731
                Francko
                Super poster 2,725
                BrowneIssue
                Super poster 2,723
                BrilloPad
                Super poster 2,589

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                  Is there a post-forty farties forum?

Or is this it?
                  Are you post-forties then?

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                    Yes, it's too cold to go around naked.
                    Last time I was on the bench, I forgot I had an early telephone interview.

The woman interviewing me asked me a couple of times during the 40 minutes call if I was nervous - I lied and said I was.

The reality was that I was stood shivering and stark-bo11ock naked in a draughty hall for the duration of the call.

Didn't get that gig.

It tickled the wife though.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Are you post-forties then?
                      A mere 42.

Comment

Working...
                      X