• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lunch: ham toasties

Turned sunny and Simpsonesque out now

Comment

That's that week out of the way!

It may have been four days, but it felt a lot longer

Oh well, another couple of weeks and I'll be taking a whole week off

Comment

Oil tank delivered.
        Driver did an impressive reversing manoeuvre to get up our drive, then as he got out I pointed to where he needed to be. That involved a very slick 3 point turn done as if he was in a mini, not a 7.5t lorry.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

For tea tonight, I turned to Kenji of Serious Eats and his Adana Kebabs (Ground Lamb Kebabs) Recipe which turned out to be pretty straightforward and very tasty, stuffed in a pitta and accompanied by some fries

I've been gathering ingredients and materials for this over the past week or so; I'd never heard of sumac, nor Urfa chilli flakes. But they proved to be easy enough to get hold of, as were some large flat skewers. One thing he doesn't mention, presumably because he's got a barbecue to cook them on, is that it can get a bit smoky when they're done under the grill. But the cooker hood did its job, and the kitchen has a heat detector rather than a smoke detector, so it was fine

And that was accompanied by some Trucking Hell, getting me closer to the end of S7 so I can get started on S8

Comment

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was going to be The Godfather Part III but that started with one of those utterly appalling Italian family parties with them all singing songs and stuff, and I can't be doing with that as I just sit there thinking how terrible it must be to be Italian and have to put up with all that crap

So I rapidly switched to The Island (2005) in which a bunch of people are living underground in a highly regimented society because the world is heavily contaminated in some way. Not exactly an original idea but, as with all films that have such a setting, things are not quite what they seem

It's slightly tedious to start with but, once the truth starts to become clear, it picks up and is actually rather good. Worth a watch if you have nothing else to watch

Then a rewatch of Panic Room (2002) because somebody was saying how good it is on Twitter the other day, and I agree, so I thought I'd watch it again, and it is

And then a couple more episodes of S3 of The Wire

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
              Storm hasn’t hit yet.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Saturday.

Dry.

Very very windy.

Grey.

Very gloomy.

Curiously warm in here at 15.3 deg, 15.5 deg in the kitchen, 14.5 deg in the leanto, 14 deg in the saltinghouse.

992 mBar, 29.294 in Hg, 744.1 Torr, 14.3877 psi, (down from 998 last night), 76% RH (GDR hair), 70% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 14th of September 2019 NF had homemade soup for lunch, while the hardware store across the road from his old place was closed for several weeks with a notice declaring this fact stuck to the door.

Shirts & smalls in the WM.

Shirts & smalls out of the WM & pegged out on the line.

Shirts duly blowing horizontally in the gale.

Shirts in off the line nearly dry.

Smalls in off the line & in the TD because it started to rain.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the grey gloom, wan sunshine, & semigale.

Lunch: baked spud etc.

Shirts roughly iRoned & airing upstairs.

Half a cup of water out of the TD.

Smalls airing upstairs.

Tea: chilli con carne (tinned: Tesco's finest) with rice. Nice enough.

Entertainment: Toast: whatever happened to Little Chef? Well private equity is never good news.

The Moody Blues howling away quietly in the corner

Dixon of Dock Green S17 E1 "Waste Land (1970)". James Grout is in this one. He wasn't half the man he was later in Morse. Rather a good episode.

Rained enough to drop the satellite signal out so I missed a minute or two tuning in to Freeview with the extraordinary slowness of the telly.

Maigret's Little Joke S4 E13 (1963). The Last One.

Edgar Wallace Mystery Theatre: "Man detained (1961)".

The Lost City (2022) with Sandra Bullock, Channing Tatum, Brad Pitt, and that chap that played a wizard (he should have stuck to that since he's hopeless as a villain). It's some sort of demented remake of "Romancing the Stone" but nowhere near as good. There's quite a funny bit in the credits.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 7 April 2024, 09:17.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Windy. Cloudy but sunny. Signs of overnight / early morning rain. Currently 14 degrees with a high of 15 expected. No rain forecast.

Yesterday's meet up didn't happen. I bailed as wasn't feeling all that great and needed a bit of a rest after the travelling.

HWMBO arrived a bit earlier than we'd assumed so there was time to sample the drinks in the hotel bar (very good).

A very nice breakfast has been had and now we're just thinking what to do with the day as we don't have a particular agenda. We'll pop out soon to give housekeeping opportunity to make the bed, etc.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Fairly bright day out, though quite breezy by the look of the trees. Warm too: currently 18°C, which is today's high. The barometers are steady at 985/993mB

Comment

afternoon all
                      missed much? have i?

Comment

Working...
                      X