• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning denizens

Damp and cloudy out after the overnight rain, but it's stopped now and seems to be clearing a little. Mild enough at 11°C and aiming for 13° this afternoon, while the barometers are back down a bit at 1010/1018mB

Comment

Lunch: herby chicken, tomato and lentil soup

I might have a few Quality Street. These will be from the tin that my Dad would have given me for Christmas, if he'd made it that far. They'd already been obtained the week before he died, so I still got them - I just wasn't able to thank him for them

Comment

Wlaky. Tired as hell yet again, rotten sleep last night.

While on subject of tired, checked my van tyre pressures and found that the "experts" who fitted new sensors last week had overinflated them by up to 14PSI.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Not really a walk as such, but I made two trips over to the bins - first with the general recycling and then, having confirmed there was enough space left over there, with an accumulation of cardboard boxes. I cut these up first with the Stanley knife so they wouldn't take up too much of the remaining space

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Lunch: herby chicken, tomato and lentil soup

I might have a few Quality Street. These will be from the tin that my Dad would have given me for Christmas, if he'd made it that far. They'd already been obtained the week before he died, so I still got them - I just wasn't able to thank him for them
            Sounds like a good reason to leave Christmas shopping until the last minute. Untimely passing of either giver or recipient make the whole enterprise redundant.

Comment

My latest project was upcycling a Lloyd Loom nursing chair. I got it for free on freecycle, but had underestimated how expensive upholstery foam/material/paint was. I think I've spent nearly £80 so far (includes a reusable staple gun which did not materialise from my birthday wish list). Pristine examples sell for around £70 and mine is very much an amateur effort, so think I will need to find a corner for it. Not sure upcycling furniture is likely to be a profitable semi-retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Sounds like a good reason to leave Christmas shopping until the last minute. Untimely passing of either giver or recipient make the whole enterprise redundant.
                Because it was his birthday just before he died but after he was in hospital, there were many boxes of chocolates he got for that or was supposed to get for Christmas. So at the end of the wake, we put them all out as a chocolate buffet, with a bunch of paper sweet bags I got off Amazon so everybody who wanted could take an assortment home with them

Comment

This afternoon's Canadian border stuff included a citizen of the USA who was knocked back for having guns, knives, and handcuffs. He explained that he had them because he needed to be able to protect his children. Was he some crime lord, his family under threat from the drug cartels? No; he was a software developer. I think he ought to give the concealed carry permits a rest and instead try going to one of those psychiatrists they have so many of over there

And the NZ police were much the same as usual, including a young woman whose car had crashed after hitting a pothole on a bend out in the country. The copper attending the scene was a bit concerned that her shirt was covered in blood, until she explained that she'd spent the afternoon docking lambs' tails

The missing episode of Ambulance has finally escaped on to iPlayer, so that was this evening's viewing, along with an old 24 Hours in A&E

The Corolla has to go for its MOT and other stuff, including a service, first thing in the morning. I checked the bit of gaffer tape the garage stuck on a plastic bit in a corner of the engine with notes from the last service, and it was in 2020, about three weeks before lockdown started. So it's well overdue for another, despite the low mileages of the past four years

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    This afternoon's Canadian border stuff included a citizen of the USA who was knocked back for having guns, knives, and handcuffs. He explained that he had them because he needed to be able to protect his children. Was he some crime lord, his family under threat from the drug cartels? No; he was a software developer. I think he ought to give the concealed carry permits a rest and instead try going to one of those psychiatrists they have so many of over there
                    Quite restrained compared with:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/california...070641981.html

A California man was found with 1 million rounds of ammo and 248 illegally owned guns in his house, state authorities say
                    Yeeehaw!

Should have lived in Texas, he'd be regarded as a limp wristed commie.

Hell, only 11 of them were machine guns..
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 18 February 2024, 23:49.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X