• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The meeting has been had, and it was indeed pleasant.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Hectic kind of evening so far. My brother had assembled a load of photos for a slideshow at the crematorium, but it turns out the system requires you to upload it in video form. So he had to send the photos in batches over to me, along with the music (Benjamin Britten, 4 Sea Interludes, Op. 33A - Dawn), and I had to learn how to make slideshows in Apple's Photos app. Turns out it's very easy, and has features like "make the timing match the duration of the music". Then I used Keynote to make the text-only start and end slides, exported them as HD-sized images, and added them

I stuck it up on my website temporarily so they could have a look. Turned out the final slide needed to be across three lines, which does look better. And my sister pointed out that my brother had got the year of her wedding wrong - but this was in a caption he'd overlaid on the photo, so it was baked into the JPEG, and his editing tools are up north (he's at the parental home now). So I ended up using a photo editing app to cut out a bit of nearby carpet and stick it over the offending 2, then worked out what font and colour he'd used and put the desired 3 in its place

Just got final approval from them both, so now I'm uploading it

And in the midst of all that, I managed to find time to have my tea: pork steaks with chips

Comment

Traitors watched, Guess the Place guessed, now TFBSZ

Comment

I managed to squeeze a bit of an old Police Interceptors into the brief time I had to guzzle my dinner whilst trying to get the slideshow stuff sorted out to everybody's satisfaction

Then some time was devoted to Dylan Thomas reading Fern Hill as that was my Dad's favourite poem and I'm reading it at the crematorium service (as opposed to the church). I don't know the poem and it's not an easy one to pick up, but there are three different readings of it by the man himself on YouTube, which have helped me to get a feel for the flow and the music of it. I'll be listening and rehearsing a lot between now and Friday, I reckon; I'd like to do it justice

And then I watched Mr Bates vs The Post Office - intending to watch the first episode or maybe two, I ended up watching the lot because it's excellent

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
            Looks like we had a little rain over night, it was cloudy earlier and the road was damp. 1oC out, but no wind, so it felt a lot warmer than yesterday.
            Skies have cleared now that we're back from our walk and it looks like it could be a pleasant day.

Comment

Morning.

Thursday.

I assume the recycling and waste disposal engineers made their merry way because I didn't hear anything earlier.

Dry.

Blue sky.

Cold in here at 10 deg, 8 deg in the kitchen, 6 deg in the leanto, 2 deg in the saltinghouse.

1035 mBar, 30.564 in Hg, 776.31 Torr, 15.011 psi, (up from 1029.5 last night), 76% RH (GDR hair), 56% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 16th of August 2019 it was grey, damp, and raining fitfully, while NF had a pile of junk in front of the gas fire that needed sorting before going to the dump and WTFH took the dog to the beach for a walk, whereas LM was "working from home" with a hangover. .

Lunch: beans on toast etc.

Walk (abbreviated) walked: not as cold as yesterday since the wind has dropped.

Entertainment: Y&Y Gap Finders: chap who started Poundland. Toast: Sunny Delight: Trump should drink it to save on fake tan.

Oz Borders thing: chap with a laptop containing 3 or 4 card skimmers, flown in from the UK but doesn't speaka da English, laptop destroyed, him back on a plane to this benighted land. Dunno his origins and they weren't stated. The usual Chinese undeclared food: shed loads of it & reluctant to pay $110 fine. Poor Maori chap who had criminal offences but got turned back after seeing his GF for five minutes or so.

And another NZ chap with a total of 12 months sentences sent back (previous one had 3 years), much to the sadness of his German GF. Septic woman with undeclared food (including beef jerky just to make it worse): fined $220, goodness me she was really pissed off. Chap travelling from S. America with traces of coke: nothing found apart from an old credit card in someone else's name, which was destroyed & he was allowed to enter. Package from Africa (Tanzania) with a yellow substance & a crystalline substance: this last being boric acid: the yellow stuff sparked a full on alert with the fire brigade, breathing apparatus, geiger counters, and explosive detectors: it was found to be inert: they didn't say so but it was probably turmeric: destroyed. Seemed to be a lot of fuss but better safe than sorry. After all it might have been yellow cake. .

Curiously one may use a filter paper soaked in turmeric solution & then dried as an indicator for the presence of borax coz it goes browny red or reddy brown.

Tea: chilli con carne: last portion, etc.

Entertainment: PM <click>

Wheeler Dealers S10 E8 Ford Pop custom: the one Edd sawed the front off & grafted some bits of Jaguar on instead.

Thing on Alba about Scottish filming locations E1. repeated next Wednesday.

That Ramsay chap wandering about on a walk, but not on his own in this lot.

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 11 January 2024, 23:43.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Gordoneo Bennutto. Another flat tyre.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey day out but not raining, and a little milder perhaps: currently 3°C heading for 6°, while the barometers are very much up at 1027/1035mB

I've got to start getting my stuff in order ready for the trip south, later today

Comment

Morning all

Sunny, blue sky with wispy fluff. Dry. Currently 3 degrees ('feels like' 1) with a high of 6 expected. Barometer up to 1034 mBar.

So nice to not have to be up at silly o'clock to get to an office. Three days this week! My house got very cold as the heating goes off when I'm not at home. It's just about warmed up.

DrS's scandalous accusations of me having a hangover on 16th August 2019 prompted me to look at my calendar to see what I was up to. I suspect the hangover was actually on the 17th as HWMBO and I went for dinner at the Frontline Club on the 16th. On the 15th we went to the cinema, to see Pain and Glory, which isn't usually a hangover inducing event.

Comment

nope. It was definitely on the 16th unless someone's frigged about with the clock/calendar thingie..

https://forums.contractoruk.com/ligh...ml#post2672812

Which doesn't work for me, rather it takes me back to 21st of March 2016 where mudskipper is waffling on about a headlouse magnifying glass for some reason.

Apparently it had reached the heady heights () of £146.

Despite an extensive search, no further details of the ultimate price of said magnifier were found.

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 11 January 2024, 12:14.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X