• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tea: kebab & chips

I see from the news that they've finally admitted that the 10,000-steps-a-day thing was made up and you only really need around 2,300. It turns out that pottering around the flat all day plus walking to the kebab shop and back is sufficient to get me over that level, so this counts as a healthy meal

Comment

Oh look at the time. Guess who hasn't made their bed yet

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Tea: kebab & chips

I see from the news that they've finally admitted that the 10,000-steps-a-day thing was made up and you only really need around 2,300. It turns out that pottering around the flat all day plus walking to the kebab shop and back is sufficient to get me over that level, so this counts as a healthy meal
        There's been loads of studies and articles over the years about 10k being a nonsense but even my health insurance continues to think anything less than 3k is not active enough

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

There's been loads of studies and articles over the years about 10k being a nonsense but even my health insurance continues to think anything less than 3k is not active enough
          Yes, it was originally made up by an advertising agency in Japan charged with promoting a pedometer, because 10,000 was some kind of pun on "pedometer" in Japanese - it may even have been a visual pun based on ideograms, from what I can recall.

It's like that "five a day" stuff, which originated because the government asked nutritionists for a simple bit of advice that would make them look good for promoting healthy lifestyles, and the nutritionists said "It's a bit more complicated than that" and the politicians said 'We didn't ask for medical advice, we just need a slogan to make it look like we're promoting healthy lifestyles" so the nutritionists reluctantly agreed that "five a day" was unlikely to actually kill anybody, even though it's a bit more complicated than that. And now even doctors tell you it, and get confused when you point out that it's a political slogan, not medical advice

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Oh look at the time. Guess who hasn't made their bed yet
            Rookie mistake

I unmade my bed before heading south for my Mum's funeral, thinking it'd be able to air for a good long time and I could "just" make it when I got back. Of course, when I did get back, the last thing I felt like doing was faffing about making the bed

Comment

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Robin Hood (2010) which was OK, but mainly seems to prove that teaming Russell Crowe up with Ridley Scott for a historical epic does not guarantee that anything as good as Gladiator will come out the other end. One doesn't expect these things to be too historically accurate, but among many aspects, I was very suspicious of the music in this one, as the peasants playing tunes in village taverns sounded suspiciously like the kind of stuff you hear in folk clubs in pubs; one wonders of someone took Ridley to a folk night somewhere and he got a bit carried away. One bit was, I think, historically accurate though: the tiny village of Nottingham is shown without trams, and they didn't have any trams when I went there in the 1980s, so that's probably right and the trams came later

To follow, a rewatch of Emily the Criminal (2022) which I like a lot, particularly for its sideswipes at various insane aspects of American society like the crippling burden of student debt, the lack of protections for workers, and the way businesses expect junior staff to work for no pay as "interns". Burn it all down, I say, and Emily is doing her bit as best she can

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning.

Sunday.

Grey.

Dark.

Damp.

Dreary.

Wanly sunny.

Cool in here at 20.5 deg, 22 deg in the kitchen, 20 deg in the leanto.

1007 mBar, 29.7366 in Hg, 755.3121 Torr, 14.6 psi, (down from 1008 last night), 75% RH (GDR hair), 74% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 3rd of July 2019 NF went to bed early & emerged from bed early, though not as early as Diver did. BR14 wasn't dead.

Entertainment: the bit of "UFOs: top secret alien files" I didn't watch previously. I am doomed. Not just watching tv in the afternoon, but watching it in the morning too. .

Lunch: baked potato with cheese & baked beans, a yellow corner yog, bramble jelly & marmalade on slices of toast, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: The Infinite Monkey Cage S11 "Fierce Creatures". Stay away from bullet ants.

Freecell score: 89%, running average: 86% (85.55%).

Entertainment: NZ Highway Cops thing. Hadn't seen this one before. Is the odometer switch thing a thing in NZ then? Giving up weed to then continuously drink booze whilst driving seems less than an optimal sort of decision all in all.

NZ Motorway Patrol thing. How not to tow a caravan along a motorway. Don't drive a transit into the side of a petrol tanker when out of your skull on booze.

Something on Blaze that's not about UAPs: Britain's Historic Towns: Dover: with that Alice Roberts (red hair). Currently driving tractors. Much WWII. Rationing. Celebrating the end of rationing (which didn't happen until 1954) and was worse in 1947 than it was in the war.

Joy of Painting. . quite strong. Black canvas.

Joy of Painting. . Snow scene.

NASA's unexplained files. MIR collision 1997 after manual docking experiment. Cassini flyby of Enceladus: plumes of vapour from the south pole. Salty hot water. All these worlds etc. 2004bl86 asteroid with an ?impactor?. Nah it's a moon of 2004bl86. Jimmy Carter sees a UFO in 1969. The water inside a space suit part deux. Turns out to be cooling water. Same suit as did it in 2013 does it again in 2016 despite being pulled apart & reassembled.

The Real Spies among Friends. More about the Cambridge 5 narrated by Roger Allam though Cairncross doesn't get a mention.

A Spy Amongst Friends. The End. spoiler: there was no Lily Thomas

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 August 2023, 22:47.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Lumps of fluff with occasional blue patches. Currently 19 degrees with a high of 22 expected. Rain forecast ivernight. Barometer steady at 1015 mBar

Off to the coast to see Mum and mow another lawn (assuming there's room in the garden waste bin). Down there it's a couple of degrees cooler but sunnier. Must ask my brother what he did with the hedge trimmer.

Comment

Morning denizens

Rather a grey day out, with some drizzly rain happening at the moment, and quite breezy too. Currently 18°C, with 21° expected later, and the barometers are steady at 1000/1007mB. A solitary pigeon is braving the rain to have a poke about on the big lawn, near the central flowerbed

Comment

Breakfast, or possibly brunch given the time: a couple of croissants with strawberry jam

Comment

Working...
                      X