• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took advantage of a relative dearth of meetings today to go to Big Sainsbury's at lunchtime, so that's the shopping done. Thus, lunch was a couple of sweet chilli chicken thighs from the tepid food counter, which were still fairly warm by the time I got them home as they'd only just come out of the oven when I bought them

The house next door on the bedroom/study side is having its roof tiles put back on after said roof was refurbished. It's got a lot of gables for its size so I can't see most of it, but they've almost covered one of the larger expanses nearest me during the course of the day

And the gardener or groundskeeper has been out front mowing the lawns this afternoon. He's just wrapping up now, making banging and clattering sounds as he puts his tools in the flatbed of his little truck, just beneath my window.

Comment

Tea: rack of ribs and chips

Warm still, but it was quite breezy earlier to the extent of bits of paper fluttering off shelves, so I closed the windows. Now it's up to 25° in here. I think I'll reopen the windows as the wind seems to have dropped a bit, and if there's any more fluttering, at least it'll be helping to cool the place down

Comment

Some reasonably good results for the opal hunters, but what I noticed was that they were bleeping out swearing but leaving it in place on the subtitles. That happens quite often, but I'm not sure if they do it on every episode of this particular programme; I think not. I don't see why they need to bleep "buggering about" anyway

Comment

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Maleficent (2014) in which we learn that the "evil" fairy godmother of the Sleeping Beauty tale has been sadly traduced by the fairy tale book writers. Good stuff, I thought

And then a rewatch of Radioactive (2019) about the life of Marie and Pierre Curie, but mostly Marie because she lived longer and had the best ideas. Again, good stuff, albeit a cautionary tale about the risks of finding new elements that give off rays that have hitherto undetermined effects on living beings

Goodnight all

Comment

^^^ Liked both of those.

Morning.

Saturday.

Grey.

Dark.

Dank.

Dreary.

Sunless.

Cool in here at 20.7 deg, 22 deg in the kitchen, 20 deg in the leanto.

1006.5 mBar, in Hg, Torr, psi, (down from 1009 last night), 75% RH (GDR hair), 76% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 2nd of July 2019 I watched "The Day after (1983)", the one that frightened Ron Reagan. IIRC I FFed through bits of it.

Raining.

Due to the inclemency of the weather I thought to watch Wheeler Dealers on the Rover P5B or the Morris Traveller.

However the Tub o'Lard disabused me of this idea, so now it's "The Six Million Dollar Man" S1 E1. I'd forgotten (if I ever knew) that Steve Austin had been to the moon 3 times before the lifting body accident.

Inneresting that according to that heart monitor thing he's actually dead. Maybe it's all a dream.

There's someone in next door banging about again.

Lunch: baked potato with cheese & baked beans, red corner yog, bramble jelly & marmalade on slices of toast, 0.91*1.56 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: more of The Six Million $ Man. Not finding it overly gripping.

Ooooo, bit of punched mylar tape & some ten inch reels of half inch mag tape on a drive.

Some Ancient Aliens bollox that I dozed through.

Freecell score in the tedium & ennui of the rainy afternoon: 90%, running average: 86% (85.55%). Streak: 64.

Tea: spag with the penultimate fiery (but not very) bol, some mango slices, a yog, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Western Films on Sky Arts. "Once upon a time in the West" was number 1.

Thing about the floods of 1953 was on but I didn't watch much of it.

Maigret S2 E5 1961 "Inspector Lognon's Triumph". Alf Garnett's in this one (Warren Mitchell you silly moo).

The four just men E32 1959 "The Godfather". No. Not that one. Kidnap story. I wonder what the unidentified country was.

Thing about neanderthals that I'd seen before.

Last half hour of Joe Kidd. Again. Well it fills the time. More or less.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 18 August 2023, 17:06.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

Cloudy day out, and very breezy too, judging by the antics of the blind in the bedroom and the shimmying of the conifers. Currently 19°C with an expected high of 22° mid-afternoon, 30% chance of rain around or after lunch, and the barometers are down to 1000/1007mB

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Cloudy day out
                And as soon as I post that, the blanket of cloud suddenly lifts, leaving some nice Simpsonesque fluffy bits floating above a bright, sunny morning

Comment

Bacon butty for lunch

Cloud's back

Comment

Afternoon all

Depending on which window I look out of it's either blue sky with lumpy fluff or overcast with flecks of grey. Stiff breeze. Currently 19 degrees with a high of 21 expected. Barometer down to 1015 mBar.

Lazy start to the day. Bed stripped and airing but I've not yet brought the linen down for washing.

I had sprayed weedkiller over the front path a couple of days ago in the hope that they would be dead by now for easier removal. No such luck. Resprayed with other stuff that I know works. I had decided to try one that claims to kill down to the roots in the hope of a more permanent solution.

Comment

Just had a nice relaxing bath

Comment

Working...
                      X