• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our promised rain arrived in rather copious quantities, accompanied by a proper thunderstorm, so that was nice

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Don't Worry Darling (2022) in which a community lives the 1950s dream lifestyle in an isolated community where the husbands are all engaged in secret work, but one housewife (Florence Pugh) begins to suspect there might be something dark behind the pleasant facade. It's OK, and the ending was good, but they could have cut it by about twenty to thirty minutes without losing anything of value. As the scenes that add little to the story tend to feature Chris Pike, I suspect there was pressure from his side to give his character more to do than the fairly minimal amount that would explain his significance to the story, which admittedly is large, but which simply doesn't require him to be onscreen that much

And on my travels today, the side of a bus informed me that the new Mission: Impossible film will be released in a few days, so I reminded myself what those are all about with a rewatch of Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015)

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all

Cloudy, wet, intermittent showers. Showers set to continue until lunchtime. Currently 17 degrees with a high of 22 expected. Barometer up to 1021 mBar.

Off to see Mum today. It's her birthday so we're taking her out for lunch. Need to find a nice bunch of flowers.

Comment

Morning.

Sunday.

Quite a disturbed night, woke at 02:00 and 04:00, along with very odd dreams.

Maybe reading Harlan Ellison's book about "City on the Edge of Forever" before sleep isn't a good idea. . In which he relates the line counting exploits of the WWWC's avatar back in the day to make sure he has more lines than the one with pointy ears.

Dry.

Sunny.

Blue sky in parts.

Warmish side of cool in here at 20.7 deg, 22.5 deg in the kitchen, 20 deg in the leanto.

1012 mBar, 29.884343 in Hg, 759.1 Torr, 14.6778 psi, (up a microtad from last night), 69% RH (GDR hair), 67% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 26th of June 2019 the status of LM's paperwork day was undefined, whereas covbob had a root canal, I nearly stabbed some oik who was playing Queen in the library computer room, and NF was looking forward to his flat reaching Saharan temperatures with the advent of the Saharan bubble. Not long until November by which time it should have cooled down a bit apparently.

Shopping trip to Morrisons done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away.

Timed that just right since we just had a short deluge.

Lunch: baked potato with cheese& baked beans, yellow corner yog, 1x marmalade & 2x bramble jelly on slices of toast, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: bits of The unbelievable truth, followed by bits of the Food Programme.

Thunderstorm: thunderbolts & lightning, very very frightening. It's moved off now & the sun's out again

Highway Cops. x2.

Motorway Patrol x2.

Tea: Mr Brains faggots again, with peas, the last of the pear halves, a yog, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Joy of Painting. Bob Ross. the being quite pronounced in this one.

Joy of Painting. Not Bob Ross. however the was induced sufficiently for the mountain to appear as if by magic.

NASA's unexplained files: Dmax: the unfortunate 3 cosmonauts returning dead from Soyuz in 1971. The Cunning Plan from the CIA to start WWIII by invading Cuba if John Glenn's Mercury flight went wrong: Operation Dirty Trick. It didn't so we're all still here. The unfortunate conversion error from metric to imperial that doomed the Mars Climate Orbiter. Well if you will program stuff in ft/sec & nautical miles & knots wtf do you think will happen? The still unexplained Red Glow over the Pacific viewed from an aircraft & from satellite on 24/08/2014. The uncommanded rocket firing on the ISS June 9th 2015: was it hacked? Along with the problem with the Progress 59 resupply capsule that burned up out of control. How NASA helped convict the murderer of Dawn Sanchez in Los Altos by means of ground penetrating radar & a robot.

America's Book of Secrets with Lance Reddick. MKULTRA, mind control, Sirhan Sirhan, etc.

A spy among friends. Dear old Kim Philby. E1. Rather enjoyed that. Wilderness of Mirrors etc.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 9 July 2023, 22:44.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I omitted to mention that we were awoken at the unearthly hour of 4am by the local crow population making a racket.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Sunny day out, currently 21°C, and going to reach 22°. The barometers are slightly up at 1007/1014mB

For breakfast, I'm having a roast duck leg. Unusual breakfast fare, but it's been sitting in the fridge for a few days, it Needs To Be Eaten™, and it doesn't fit in with any of my other meal plans

Comment

The dishwasher has achieved its usual remarkable results, and now the water meter is being kept ticking over by mundane laundry

Comment

Rain! Thunder!

No lightning seen yet though, and it looks from the radar as if the main bit of the storm is skirting past a few miles over the other side of the city

Comment

Train from Edinburgh to Darlo is 2 hours long - would like to be offered more than 1 drink in that time.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Tea has been roast gammon with chips, fried eggs and beans

Having seen gammon joints in the shops garnished with slices of orange, and having an orange to hand, I gave that a try. Definitely enhanced the flavour; I'll do that again

Comment

Was supposed to be a solo day but ended up with ll2 and her younger friend. She's a burlesque performer. Chewy!
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X