• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning denizens

It's a fluffy kind of overcast out there today, with thinner patches that look almost blue. Only 8°C though and not getting any warmer than that, and the barometers are down a little at 1000/1008mB

Just had a Teams call where I waved my passport and such at the camera, this being what passes for proof that my ID documents are genuine nowadays

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Morning denizens

It's a fluffy kind of overcast out there today, with thinner patches that look almost blue. Only 8°C though and not getting any warmer than that, and the barometers are down a little at 1000/1008mB

Just had a Teams call where I waved my passport and such at the camera, this being what passes for proof that my ID documents are genuine nowadays
      Yep - that's the requirements if you have a UK passport - check the photo on the UK passport matches the person presenting it and that the passport is valid.

The happy path is really simple, it just gets really complex if the happy path doesn't work i.e. if you don't have a valid UK passport.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Yep - that's the requirements if you have a UK passport - check the photo on the UK passport matches the person presenting it and that the passport is valid.

The happy path is really simple, it just gets really complex if the happy path doesn't work i.e. if you don't have a valid UK passport.
        I didn't have one between 2008 and 2018, and it didn't half confuse some agencies. IIRC most of them ended up accepting a scan of the expired one

Comment

Lunch has been a bacon butty

Brightening up a bit here now, as the gaps between the clouds widen

Comment

Late lunch has been a part-baked small baguette (that I completed the baking of) with porchetta, cheese and tomato. Lots of pepper too.

Comment

Finally got around to disassembling the less-deep bookcase that did a good job of looking after my DVDs in the old place, but which I messed up a bit when reassembling it here, then finding there wasn't really anywhere it would fit that I wanted it to be. So sadly, after a number of years of service, it's destined for the storeroom where it will presumably gather cobwebs until I finally realise I'm not going to use its bits for anything and take it down the tip

This gave me enough space to reassemble the recliner (which just involved sliding the back into position and hooking up the various electrical connectors). Well, there was room for it anyway as my new living room lives up to the estate agent's epithet "spacious", but not anywhere one would actually want to sit on it. So I reclined it and got it to massage my back for a bit

Now having a cup of coffee and admiring the excellent view out of the window that I get from this spot in the room

I'd have to shift the telly round if I wanted to watch it though. I might fit castors to the TV stand.

Comment

Tea has been roast gammon with chips, fried eggs and beans

Accompanied by new(ish) Trucking Hell as that seemed preferable to a repeat of the gold hunters

And the car earlier was also a repeat; a Datsun Fair Lady Roadster.

Comment

Walked the beach earlier with The DogTW and The WifeTM, found several fossils. Gave some away to foreigners (people from London) who didn’t know what they were looking for. Made their day.
                  Back home, submitted my tax return, got a text to say the maps were framed, dug up a wild rose and an elder, did a bit of tree pruning, then sent a message to the MD of an agency I’ve worked through in the past (my normal contact there is taking a year off). Meetings lined up for next week, and my retirement may end sooner than I thought.

Tomorrow, when the weather improves, will be more pruning.

Now it’s TFBSZ
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was The Northman (2022) which seems to be intended to portray Vikings in the worst possible light, and succeeds admirably at that. But it's quite good, in its own rather peculiar way

And then a rewatch of Fury (2014), the Brad Pitt WWII tank thing, which is very good, albeit very gory

And then I made the classic mistake of rewatching E1 of one of those ITV true crime dramatisations, to wit Manhunt, and inevitably ended up watching the whole thing. So much for the idea of a comparatively early night

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning.

Saturday.

Grey.

Gloomy.

No current precipitation whilst it hammered down overnight & the river is full.

Sunless.

Chilly in here at 13.3 deg, 12.5 deg in the kitchen, 12 deg in the leanto.

993 mBar, 29.3232 in Hg, 744.811 Torr, 14.4 psi, (down from 1000 last night), 73% RH (GDR hair), 71% (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 9th of April 2019 WTFH was exterminating vermin, I'd started my final holidays before retirement and it was grey & raining, whereas it appears it was all sunlit uplands for NF. .

I suppose I could dig up the wild roses in the front garden before they take over the world.

The emerged from the gloom.

Walk (abbreviated) walked in the sunshine.

Rivers of water descending the road up the hill. Happily enough the drains are clear so there were no rivers in the gutters outside (though what it might have been like during the night is anyone's guess).

Lunch: baked potato with cheese and baked beans, red pippy corner yog, bramble jelly and marmalade on slices of slightly underone toast, 0.91*1.57 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: the last 10 minutes of FOOC.

Money Box until it went <click> due to "I really couldn't give a tulip" kicked in.

Just amused myself for a while looking at The Wrecked House of Yore.

Stone me there's been some changes over by there, as it were, as demonstrated by the time thing on streetview.

The buddleia seems to have gone overboard some years,and the ivy/whatever was climbing over next door was particularly impressive for a couple of years.

In a turnup for the book, someone seems to have planted some poppies in the front garden in the 2022 version. Who'd have thunk? But that tatty piece of ply is still gently rotting away over the bay window. .

Freecell score: 95%, running average 85%.

It's raining again. The grey gloom rolled in & the inevitable happened.

Tea: spag with the overly fiery bol (which is even hotter now it's been in the freezer for a fortnight), a yog (to cool down a bit), some peach slices, 0.91*1.59 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: assorted 70s songs on That's TV.

Maigret: S4 E13 "Maigret's little joke". End of series.

The Bad Skin Clinic S1 E2. Not in One Welbeck yet. Woman with hyperhydrosis, woman with a keloid from a piercing. Chap with a big lump on the back of his head.

The Repair Shoppe: Toolmaker's cabinet that's lived in a damp shed, a bellows camera with a defunct bellows, a vintage marionette theatre.

An assortment of bollox on Quest & Quest +1 interspersed with a thing about the big freeze of 1982 on 5+1.

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 8 January 2023, 00:00.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X