• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enjoying my last half-hour of quiet before the CovKids get home.

Comment

We went to the Sainsbury's on Cromwell Road this afternoon. The building caretaker mentioned there was nothing in it as we left.

We figured we'd find something!

He was right though. No fruit or veg, other than a few melons and, oddly, mushrooms. Reasonable amounts of cheese and yoghurt. Milk ok but no butter. No meats and just a couple of ropey looking bits of fish. No toilet rolls or similar products. No bread, flour, eggs. Some cakes. Plenty of wine and spirits.

We then wandered past the local butcher on the way home. He was closing up for the day but said more stock coming in the morning. We didn't need much but picked up a couple of poussin. The local fruit and veg shop had loads in.

Forget the supermarkets, go to your local shops, keep them alive!

Comment

Shop in Llandudno offering 40 toilet rolls. £20....

Comment

MrsBP's sister had 240 bookings for this weekend. Down to 40. Hotel will close Sunday night.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            MrsBP's sister had 240 bookings for this weekend. Down to 40. Hotel will close Sunday night.
            They are planning on turning the dining room into a badminton court. They have space in their garden, but it sometimes rains....

Comment

Tea: chilli con carne with rice (only two packets left), orange segments and custard (midway between too thick and too thin), 1.05 pints of good Glengettie tea.

The evening's entertainment: Mad Max.

Seems appropriate really.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                Tea: chilli con carne with rice (only two packets left), orange segments and custard (midway between too thick and too thin), 1.05 pints of good Glengettie tea.

The evening's entertainment: Mad Max.

Seems appropriate really.
                I thought I was nearly out of rice, but found a 500g packet in the cupboard I don’t usually put it in

Sainsbury’s today was also bereft of pasta and rice… oh wait, there were a few packets of brown rice. Nobody was rushing to grab them

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  We went to the Sainsbury's on Cromwell Road this afternoon. The building caretaker mentioned there was nothing in it as we left.

We figured we'd find something!

He was right though. No fruit or veg, other than a few melons and, oddly, mushrooms. Reasonable amounts of cheese and yoghurt. Milk ok but no butter. No meats and just a couple of ropey looking bits of fish. No toilet rolls or similar products. No bread, flour, eggs. Some cakes. Plenty of wine and spirits.

We then wandered past the local butcher on the way home. He was closing up for the day but said more stock coming in the morning. We didn't need much but picked up a couple of poussin. The local fruit and veg shop had loads in.

Forget the supermarkets, go to your local shops, keep them alive!
                  I got some plums and nectarines, and there were various other bits of fruit available. Didn’t seem to be much veg, but that isn’t a department I pay a lot of attention to anyway

I wish we still had some good local butchers. Might have to go into town to visit the market again. On the other hand, I’ve got enough stuff in the freezer to see me through a month and no room for anything more, so maybe I won’t bother just yet

Comment

We have had the windows open all afternoon despite it being drizzly out. I felt the flat needed a good airing.

I also posted a card to my Mum for Mother's Day. I would ordinarily post it tomorrow for Saturday but decided to allow for potential variations in delivery times.

In the week, I decided to order some flowers for her as usual. For no explicable reason I selected delivery on the 28th. When I spotted the error I emailed Waitrose Florist customer services and asked about the chances of changing the date. Have to cancel and reorder they said. Except by the time I went to reorder this Saturday was no longer an option. The very helpful Rachel then managed to reschedule delivery for Tuesday.

Still late but only a couple of days rather than a week. Good to know there's still good customer service out there.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      I thought I was nearly out of rice, but found a 500g packet in the cupboard I don’t usually put it in

Sainsbury’s today was also bereft of pasta and rice… oh wait, there were a few packets of brown rice. Nobody was rushing to grab them

I've got several packets of pudding rice from years ago when I couldn't find it in Tesco and Strangelove Mater was getting exercised about the lack of it.

However I'm down to two packets of the microwave rice for the chilli.

I bought a packet of some mixed brown rice & something else but it was horrid so I never bought any more.

The spag I bought about a month ago turned out to be gluten free and everything free according to the packet.

Feck nose what that's going to be like.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      I’ve got enough stuff in the freezer to see me through a month and no room for anything more, so maybe I won’t bother just yet
                      You & me both.

There's stuff in there that I bought years ago, some back when Strangelove Mater was still living at home, which makes it 2014 at the latest.

There's a leg of lamb in there that I bought from a local butcher in the market several years before he closed his shop in 2018.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 19 March 2020, 18:49.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X