• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Morning denizens

Not very warm out (7°C but feels a bit chillier, perhaps because of the damp feeling from last night’s rain) but almost-sunny spells are happening

I was rudely disturbed at 5:30 this morning by somebody knocking on the front door. They persisted, getting louder and louder, until after about ten minutes of it I reluctantly got up and got dressed and went down to tell them to feck off.

They’d gone by then, though. I looked outside and saw what appeared to be some people wearing those helmets with plexiglas visors going up the side road. So I nipped out the back, and went and had a look through the big gate to the side road. Two of what looked like police vans, the second still being boarded by some people. But then I realised the lettering on the front said “Immigration Enforcement”

Feck those stormtroopers, I thought, closing the gate in case it gave them any ideas. I came back in and tried to get back to sleep, though with limited success

They came back at 8, though, and somebody made the mistake of answering their knock. Once inside, they broke down the door of the ground floor front, and took away the young chap who lives there.

So, to sum up, my Friday started with the tools of Theresa May’s racist immigration policies smashing in doors and carrying off one of my neighbours
    Are you sure he was not arrested for leaving his bike in the wrong place for too long?

I am amazed they did not break down the front door at 5:30am.

Chap I used to get on the train with was a driver for assistant commissioner of met police. One night at 3am he had to watch a drug raid. Two police ran at the double glazed bay window taking out the frame! Very effective....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Are you sure he was not arrested for leaving his bike in the wrong place for too long?

Chap I used to get on the train with was a driver for assistant commissioner of met police. One night at 3am he had to watch a drug raid. Two police ran at the double glazed bay window taking out the frame! Very effective....
      I think they couldn’t do the front door because it belongs to the property generally, not the specific person they’re after. They certainly didn’t have any scruples about doing the flat door once they were in.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

I suspect its a money and security thing.

Damaging the front door of the building might end up being their responsibility to pay for or at least fix and it would allow others to wander in undisturbed.

Smashing up the front door of the flat itself is completely fair game (as the landlord would be breaking the law by allowing an illegal immigrant to stay there).
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          I suspect its a money and security thing.

Damaging the front door of the building might end up being their responsibility to pay for or at least fix and it would allow others to wander in undisturbed.

Smashing up the front door of the flat itself is completely fair game (as the landlord would be breaking the law by allowing an illegal immigrant to stay there).
          He’s not an illegal immigrant, though, or at least he wasn’t when he moved in. The landlord (strictly speaking, the limited company - it’s a family business) is very scrupulous about that kind of stuff. He might have overstayed on a student visa, or maybe he worked a couple of hours a week as well as studying

They’ve had somebody here to secure the flat; one of those big sheets of chipboard has been put in the frame with multiple screws holding it to, I assume, some kind of strut on the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            He’s not an illegal immigrant, though, or at least he wasn’t when he moved in. The landlord (strictly speaking, the limited company - it’s a family business) is very scrupulous about that kind of stuff. He might have overstayed on a student visa, or maybe he worked a couple of hours a week as well as studying

They’ve had somebody here to secure the flat; one of those big sheets of chipboard has been put in the frame with multiple screws holding it to, I assume, some kind of strut on the inside.
            I did think about adding a large - I wouldn't trust immigration to be truthful or competent in anyway shape of form proviso but I did think it wasn't necessary.

Mind you now they've arrested him, even if he was born in Britain and had never left the UK they will still try and deport him to the random country they think he came from.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              I did think about adding a large - I wouldn't trust immigration to be truthful or competent in anyway shape of form proviso but I did think it wasn't necessary.

Mind you now they've arrested him, even if he was born in Britain and had never left the UK they will still try and deport him to the random country they think he came from.
              Wales?

Comment

Relaxing day today. WFH and actually getting stuff done!

Tipped it down quite vigorously a couple of hours ago. Seems to have stopped now.

HWMBO is making soup from the left over guinea fowl we had for dinner the other day. That will be today's luncheon.

Comment

Timing things to the second it started pissing down just as I exited the library.

Walked home thinking that the walk was off today but it stopped and said walk was walked successfully to the viewless point and back.

It rained a bit as I was staggering back down but not enough to spoil things.

The wooden sleepers "they"* made steps out of 30 odd years ago are now lethally slippery when wet, especially the "green" ones with the coating of algae.

*The original paths were put in by the MSC/YOP lot back in the 80s back in the glory days of the Sainted Margaret "I'd resign if there were 1.5M people on the dole" Thatcher**.

** She was safe enough since there were about 3M on the dole at the time.

Originally posted by Wiki
                  It has been retrospectively estimated that the official measure for calculating the unemployment rate was changed at least 29 times between 1979 and 1989.
                  The rancid old bitch never got the unemployment count down to 1.5M and got stabbity stab stab stabbed in the back by the men in grey when it was 1.8M
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 22 November 2019, 13:08.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Afternoon all

A bit chilly earlier, but currently there's a shoot going on somewhere nearby so I have a trembling dog lying on my feet.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Just wasted 3 hours trying to get something to work with google being blooming unhelpful in showing why it didn't work.

The solution was at the bottom of the 3rd linked github bug report which basically says - to get azure functions to work we hacked things which means doing it the way the documentation says is never going to work. The workaround is to create a different solution and reference the project in that solution where ever you want to use it.

What's more annoying is looking at previous code I had the exact same issue a year ago and had completely forgotten

Comment

Working...
                      X