• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Towel wash is just drawing to a conclusion

Quite sunny out now. Not that it matters as the line is, as usual, occupied by the downstairs back's washing. But it'll shine into the kitchen and illuminate the clothes horse before too long, which might help dry them a bit I suppose.

Comment

Washing in off the line as the blue skies appear to be giving way to menacing clouds.

In other news, ClientCo UPM has just emailed to tell me that something he hoped wasn't going to be an issue has become the exact issue I said it would be.

I'd already told him it was 4 weeks of testing something that was never designed to do this process, but might work (and I've explained why I suspect it won't). At the end of week two, he will be told by someone that it doesn't work and requires fixing/modifying.

I did my best not to reply with anything too correct/.deserved, but he loses the resource he needs at the end of this week and it's his own fault.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Tea/dinner was M&S battered haddock.

It was nice enough.

Followed by some stewed blackberries from last week with custard.

And 1.05 pints of Good Glengettie Tea.

The evening's televisual entertainment began with that nice Larry Olivier narrating the Siege of Leningrad and the Battle of Kursk.

It was grim.

Followed by five minutes of the end of "One Thousand Heroes" with Charlton Heston and Richard Thomas.

Apparently it's about the Sioux City crash.

Crash Landing: The Rescue of Flight 232 (TV Movie 1992) - IMDb

"World War Weird" starts at 20:00 which should be good for a larf.

So far so boring.

The fecking Bell again.

Never mind, using chickens to keep your nuke warm makes up for it all.

There's a thing about rockets on BBC4 at 21:00

That was interesting enough once we got to dear old Wernher.

Pity Jim couldn't pronounce his surname correctly.

And now we're on to Voyager.

And something else I've never heard of, the tripropellant rocket engine.

Tripropellant rocket - Wikipedia

Hydrogen, lithium, and fluorine, sounds like an ideal combination (it has the highest specific impulse so far tested apparently).
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 6 August 2019, 21:20.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Ribs and chips for tea

And I've started reading Sunburst and Luminary by Don Eyles, a memoir by one of the team responsible for the Apollo Guidance Computer software; specifically, the stuff to get the LM down the right way up, at the right speed, and in the right place. Good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            I've got some pastry in the fridge that needs using up soon and was thinking of making apple pies - maybe I should get some blackberries too

mmmmm apple pie!
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              I see the project I am currently on are quoting martinfowler.com . Who I used to work with. They seem to think he his some sort of demi god. He has come a long way since since I worked with him.....

wasn't he on eastenders?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

And I've started reading Sunburst and Luminary by Don Eyles, a memoir by one of the team responsible for the Apollo Guidance Computer software; specifically, the stuff to get the LM down the right way up, at the right speed, and in the right place. Good stuff
                And, on the telly, more Apollo with a further two episodes of From the Earth to the Moon, covering Apollos 11 and 12

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
                  It appears Microsoft have pushed out a few updates overnight relating to Windows 10 and Office.
                  The Mac is still re-booting, but it shut down quickly. The PC took half an hour to shut down last night, but only 10 mins to boot this morning.

In other news: Garden Bench in 3 days
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning all.

Was grey now signs of blue sky.

Not sunny.

Damp.

Not raining.

It just crossed what remains of my mind that it's 30 years and 3 months since I left Siliconix.

Well there's a thing.

Time to do the dishes & feck off out down to town.

I need a cauliflower.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 7 August 2019, 08:13.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

TBH I'd just stick a body { margin: 0 auto; } on there and leave it at that - it's perfectly readable apart from being flush to the left of the window on a big monitor
                      I got a reply from Martin. He said about being bigger than the Beatles he was both horrified and amused. He is generally well : but travelling too much.

Comment

Working...
                      X