• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tea/dinner this evening was M&S breaded cod.

It was nice enough.

Followed by stewed apple & custard.

Which was meh because the custard was watery.

Currently watching PBS about the earthquake in the Chinese Dragon's Gate mountains.

It never ceases to amaze me how much bits of China resemble some of the Rupert the Bear cartoons.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
      Currently watching PBS about the earthquake in the Chinese Dragon's Gate mountains.

It never ceases to amaze me how much bits of China resemble some of the Rupert the Bear cartoons.
      Was Rupert ever in an earthquake, I wonder?

This is a nice essay: Why is Rupert Bear so popular ? - Kevan Bundell which says of the landscape of the stories:
      A key ‘character’ in Rupert’s adventures is the idyllic countryside of Nutwood and its surroundings. Nutwood village sits in a scene of green fields and woodlands. There are hills nearby, sometimes gentle, sometimes rocky and almost mountainous. The landscape is apparently an amalgamation of the Sussex Weald, Surrey, the Cotswolds and Snowdonia (where Bestall had a holiday cottage). Meanwhile, the seaside holidays that Rupert and his family take seem to be to places like the fishing villages and coves of the West country. In any case, Rupert’s local world is an invocation of an ideal English – and Welsh – countryside.

He does mention "Tiger Lilly and her father, the Chinese Conjurer" before that, but doesn't seem to have noticed any connection with the landscape of China

Comment

There's been a few token drops of rain. With a bit of luck this will continue and develop through the evening, and maybe cool things down a bit

Comment

last of the chicken provencal for tea/dinner.
          i'll do that again.
          freeview box has lost a handful of channels <again>

so watching operation market garden on yesterday.
          it does have some significance to my personal history, so.....

Comment

Last of the homemade kebab meat for dinner, in a pitta with sweet chilli sauce, and a few homemade chips on the side. Very nice, very nice indeed

I finished it off because I bought some more lamb mince today, to make another batch next week

Comment

Had some decent rain over night / early hours. Sure I heard some thunder too. Much cooler now. Rained a bit off and on today.

Cold has turned into an annoying cough.

Caught up on TDF doings ready for the final stages this weekend. Prep for year end accounts etc while cycling is on in the background.

Now watching that Brian Cox wittering on about planets. Old BBC repeat but I think I missed it first time around.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Was Rupert ever in an earthquake, I wonder?
                He does mention "Tiger Lilly and her father, the Chinese Conjurer" before that, but doesn't seem to have noticed any connection with the landscape of China
                I remember Tiger Lily and her father who had a classic Chinese pigtail.

I may have conflated Rupert the Bear with something else, but I have distinct memory of some painting or cartoon which was pretty much identical to something I saw on tv about 40 years later.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                There's been a few token drops of rain. With a bit of luck this will continue and develop through the evening, and maybe cool things down a bit
                No rain at the moment, but it's down to 21.9 in here now, though it's a bit warmer upstairs.

Currently in moth killing mode because the windows have been open.

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                freeview box has lost a handful of channels <again>

so watching operation market garden on yesterday.
                it does have some significance to my personal history, so.....

Yes, the endless retunes for Freeview as they busily clear Band V so they can sell the space for more fecking mobile phones.

Never mind the quality feel the width.

Doesn't happen so much around here coz we've always been Group A which is bottom of Band IV.

I watched the Operation Market Garden thing too.

It was discussed some months ago when I watched "A Bridge Too Far".

This evening's epic is "A Bridge Too Far(1975)" which details how things go wrong when you ignore Enigma & Tunny decrypts and assorted photographs & waste men's lives for nothing.

A Bridge Too Far (1977) - IMDb

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a406861.pdf
                Searching for "Rupert the Bear Chinese Dragon" brings up some stuff, mostly Tiger Lily & her dad & the odd Pekinese, plus a chinese dragon or two.

In addition "32 programs for the Dragon 32".

In other other news, my truly overwhelming flatulence will be blowing the top sheet off tonight.

TFBSZ.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 26 July 2019, 21:49.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Tipping it down here right now, the garden is going to live it (again).

In other news, 2 weeks left on the contract then I can get important things done, like surgery. and
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I remember Tiger Lily and her father who had a classic Chinese pigtail.

I may have conflated Rupert the Bear with something else, but I have distinct memory of some painting or cartoon which was pretty much identical to something I saw on tv about 40 years later.

No rain at the moment, but it's down to 21.9 in here now, though it's a bit warmer upstairs.

Currently in moth killing mode because the windows have been open.

Yes, the endless retunes for Freeview as they busily clear Band V so they can sell the space for more fecking mobile phones.

Never mind the quality feel the width.

Doesn't happen so much around here coz we've always been Group A which is bottom of Band IV.

I watched the Operation Market Garden thing too.

It was discussed some months ago when I watched "A Bridge Too Far".

Searching for "Rupert the Bear Chinese Dragon" brings up some stuff, mostly Tiger Lily & her dad & the odd Pekinese, plus a chinese dragon or two.

In addition "32 programs for the Dragon 32".

In other other news, my truly overwhelming flatulence will be blowing the top sheet off tonight.

TFBSZ.
                    Wasn’t Rupert’s Pekinese friend called Pong Ping?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      Had some decent rain over night / early hours. Sure I heard some thunder too. Much cooler now. Rained a bit off and on today.

Cold has turned into an annoying cough.

Caught up on TDF doings ready for the final stages this weekend. Prep for year end accounts etc while cycling is on in the background.

Now watching that Brian Cox wittering on about planets. Old BBC repeat but I think I missed it first time around.
                      Todays stage was a cracker. Not sure anyone could have seen that coming (apart from possibly the weather forecasters).
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X