• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the Chinese

Very pleasant evening out there.

Comment

This evening's 2nd feature is "Sherlock Holmes (2009)" being a reimagining of Mr Conan Doyle's epics.

Despite its 7.6 rating, I am not finding it overly wonderful.

Sherlock Holmes (2009) - IMDb

Also:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hennessy-Ja...7&s=dvd&sr=1-2

Ah, understanding has dawned.

It's a Guy Ritchie piece of crap.

A man who's directed two good films and a myriad of crap ones, "Sherlock Holmes" amongst them.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 22 June 2019, 20:59.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        In the Chinese
        And very nice too as always

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I'm watching Split (Split (2016) - IMDb) this evening, having watched Unbreakable a few weeks ago.
        I watched Unbreakable a while back; haven’t watched Split yet, or the new one.

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        This evening's 2nd feature is "Sherlock Holmes (2009)" being a reimagining of Mr Conan Doyle's epics.

Despite its 7.6 rating, I am not finding it overly wonderful.

Sherlock Holmes (2009) - IMDb
        Yes, I wasn’t hugely impressed by that one, though it is a nice change to have a depiction of Holmes which acknowledges that in the original stories he’s not averse to a bit of violence, often mentioning his martial arts skills and going around with a sword stick or such

Comment

Yes, I wasn’t hugely impressed by that one, though it is a nice change to have a depiction of Holmes which acknowledges that in the original stories he’s not averse to a bit of violence, often mentioning his martial arts skills and going around with a sword stick or such
          It required the deft use of FF to get through the turgid crap.

And I thought "Revolver" was poor.

As I remarked to myself: "Just fecking get on with it FFS".

At least FF got rid of the tedious "music".

Today's new book is

https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Countri.../dp/0752479695
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 22 June 2019, 21:26.

Comment

Tonight's first feature was Dunkirk (2017), which I thought was generally OK. I daresay the IMDb trivia and goofs sections will reveal a fair amount of wrongheadedness, though. One thing I noticed was that the chap's Spitfire seemed to have a limitless supply of bullets; as I recall, a Spitfire of that period carried about fifteen seconds' worth of ammunition, though (as the film correctly shows) the guns (Browning .303s, again IIRC) had to be fired in bursts of no more than a couple of seconds to prevent them overheating. Anyway, pretty good stuff overall.

And for a change of mood, this was followed by Crazy Rich Asians (2018). Quite amusing and entertaining, though for all its opulent and extravagant scenes, I don't think its story managed to come up to the standard of, say, The Devil Wears Prada or The Intern (those being about the only other modern romantic comedies with which I am sufficiently familiar to be able to hazard an opinion). But it's OK for what it is

And I remember seeing some article about the significance of the mahjong game around the time the film came out, so now I'm going to Google for that as it's the kind of recondite detail I like

Goodnight all
            Last edited by NickFitz; 23 June 2019, 02:58.

Comment

Morning.

Ah, the relief.

Grey again.

The weather's on its way to unborking itself.

Nearly November.

<hiatus>

Unborked: it's raining.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 23 June 2019, 08:48.

Comment

Tonight's first feature was Dunkirk (2017), which I thought was generally OK. I daresay the IMDb trivia and goofs sections will reveal a fair amount of wrongheadedness, though. One thing I noticed was that the chap's Spitfire seemed to have a limitless supply of bullets; as I recall, a Spitfire of that period carried about fifteen seconds' worth of ammunition, though (as the film correctly shows) the guns (Browning .303s, again IIRC) had to be fired in bursts of no more than a couple of seconds to prevent them overheating. Anyway, pretty good stuff overall.
                ^ all of that is correct. There were some early cannon fitted spits around in 1940 (Adolf had started armouring his planes which reduced the .303 effectiveness) but they weren't perfected.

Comment

Details, mere details.

In "Fistful of Dynamite" some of the guns were designed up to 30 years after 1914, in particular the MG42 German machine gun.

Originally posted by IMFDB
                  MG42
                  John uses what appears to be an MG42 machine gun with the buttstock removed to fire upon Ruiz's army column while they're on the bridge to great effect.

However, this is an anachronism, since the MG42 was introduced in 1942, and this film takes place in 1913, 29 years earlier.
                  Veracity my arse.

Then again, looking at the "radio control" and the rest of the bollocks in "Sherlock", one despairs.

Comment

Good afternoon folks

Another fine day today. Forecast claims it'll reach 26C.

Dusted the coffee table and am mightily vexed that dust has already resettled on it. Why did I buy a glass topped table all those years ago??

Comment

Sunday lunch today was some Morrisons chicken legs (reduced), duly roasted.

Feck me it was tasteless.

Now awaiting with bated breath the results of consuming cruciferous wegetables for the first time since Wednesday.

Even the 1.05 pints of Glengettie tea seems meh today.

Must be me.

Weather forecast seems to imply that murrain of beasts may be on the way.

I'd better do the dishes & go shopping quickly then.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 23 June 2019, 12:06.

Comment

Working...
                      X