• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sausages!

Lovely sausages, in soft, white finger rolls; the lunch of champions

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Mostly cloudy out, but the sun breaks through quite regularly and it's pretty warm
      Update: it got quite sunny and Simpsonesque about lunchtime, but now it's cloudy again

Comment

Current status: working out the markup conventions already in use for this draft standard document so I don't get shouted at, and trying to work out how to get the IDE I'm using to stop indenting my HTML in ways that will definitely get me shouted at

On the bright side, the shouts would have to be pretty loud to get here from Canada

Also, the W3C's ReSpec tool is very good at analysing a document and auto-generating a table of contents for it, assuming you've used HTML correctly, which of course I do

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Current status: working out the markup conventions already in use for this draft standard document so I don't get shouted at, and trying to work out how to get the IDE I'm using to stop indenting my HTML in ways that will definitely get me shouted at

On the bright side, the shouts would have to be pretty loud to get here from Canada

Also, the W3C's ReSpec tool is very good at analysing a document and auto-generating a table of contents for it, assuming you've used HTML correctly, which of course I do
          i had a look at HTML once, out of interest, and it reminded me of an old IBM pre personal computer language called script.
          oh, i thought, simple enough.
          that was before it all got complicated, and i didn't need to spend time on it, as i was already quids in with the big systems engineering stuff.

for what it's worth

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            i had a look at HTML once, out of interest, and it reminded me of an old IBM pre personal computer language called script.
            oh, i thought, simple enough.
            that was before it all got complicated, and i didn't need to spend time on it, as i was already quids in with the big systems engineering stuff.

for what it's worth

It's still not particularly complicated, as far as markup goes. It reminds me of using early word processors on the BBC Micro, where if you wanted to make something bold you'd put a "start bold" marker at the beginning and an "end bold" marker at the end: <b>like this</b>

HTML is derived from SGML (though they're no longer fully compatible), and SGML was derived from IBM's GML, which was "a set of macros that implement intent-based (procedural) markup tags for the IBM text formatter, SCRIPT" according to that Wikipedia page. So you were right to see a family resemblance

Comment

Tonight's tea has been lamb chops, chips, peas, and gravy, with mint sauce; very nice

And the recycling bin has been trundled forth.

Comment

Vetran's Asparagus, blue cheese soup for lunch.

boiled ham, runner beans and Asparagus, regular readers may have heard I hit the mother lode the other night at Morrisons, 10p Asparagus is not to be missed, especially if you can freeze it.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Another night of no telly apart from the forensics thing on iPlayer during dinner. But I'm now up to the beginning of September 1661 in Pepys' Diary. His uncle, who lived close by where the junction of the A1 and the A14 now is, died

Goodnight all

Comment

You give a client a number to call for emergency support, it's not your mobile, but a landline redirect to your home phone.

What do they do? Call my mobile, then complain that they got no response.

My mobile was switched off.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning all
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X