• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grey and boring here this morning. Still not a huge amount happening on the contract front - three weeks off is enough for me. I can't stand not to be working...

Comment

Morning denizens

Another grey but mild one out there

Apparently the sky will clear later on, just in time to let it get quite cold tonight

Comment

Attended the interment of my friend from down the road.

Turns out he was a Catholic, judging by the chap who did the business.

I suppose it might explain why he was interred in that part of the cemetery.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

So I spent two hours or more last night, and have just spent another hour, trying to work out why my Chef cookbook was causing a segmentation fault when trying to add a database role. This included relearning how to use pry, the Ruby console-based debugger; working out how Chef/Vagrant scatters its stuff around the disk on the virtual machine; remembering how to run Chef manually from within its working directory on the VM; and then single-stepping through pg, the Postgresql gem (Ruby's term for a library), to see what was going on

Turned out the Docker container I use as a local development DB server wasn't running

All working now

Mind you, I'm not impressed with pg's approach to error handling in the situation where it can't connect to a server. I mean, a SEGV thrown up to the top level? That's pretty catastrophic for a situation where you'd expect, I dunno, something like "Error: host blah is unreachable"

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            Attended the interment of my friend from down the road.

Turns out he was a Catholic, judging by the chap who did the business.

I suppose it might explain why he was interred in that part of the cemetery.
            RIP.

I've got my friend from round the corner's funeral next Tuesday

Comment

Must have been writ by one of my Esteemed Customers.

Error Handling is never one of their strong points.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                RIP.

I've got my friend from round the corner's funeral next Tuesday
                Having consulted The Fount of All Knowledge, it would appear that most of the responses required at committal are "Amen".

Which is simple enough.

The older I get, the more affecting these things seem to get.

I suspect there's a comfortable mean between the Pink Floyd based funeral of my cousin & this rather more conventional one.

I think I'll have Black Sabbath at mine.

Or iRon Butterfly.

Comment

I suspect there's a comfortable mean between the Pink Floyd based funeral of my cousin
                  I went to a Pink Floyd based funeral a few years ago.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Dutch smoked sausage sandwich for lunch

I couldn't eat rookworst on a frequent basis, but once in a while they really hit the spot

Comment

Delighted to read an update in the Metro:

Pope now lets people kiss his ring | Metro News

Still sounds rude!
                      Last edited by xoggoth; 27 March 2019, 18:13.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X