• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    I'm sure mentioning

Bob-a-job week: background - Telegraph

is enough to get one banned these benighted days.
    Bob-a-job week was a total scam. Some chancer gives you twenty pairs of shoes to clean and polish then fobs you off with 50p (at 1973 prices)

They should have ditched it because we don't live in idyllic villages or cosy market town neighbourhoods where you can reasonably expect your neighbours not to use kids as cheap labour, not because of made-up tabloid concerns. I suspect it was based on a complete fantasy of what "communities" are like even when it started

Comment

Chinese for dinner, just for a change

They weren't busy tonight, as evidenced by the fact that it took thirteen minutes from me leaving the flat to returning with the food, which included a detour out the back to check the cars' gate was locked

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Bob-a-job week was a total scam. Some chancer gives you twenty pairs of shoes to clean and polish then fobs you off with 50p (at 1973 prices)

They should have ditched it because we don't live in idyllic villages or cosy market town neighbourhoods where you can reasonably expect your neighbours not to use kids as cheap labour, not because of made-up tabloid concerns. I suspect it was based on a complete fantasy of what "communities" are like even when it started
        Not quite my point as you well know, but cogent all the same.

I think, judging by the ringing in my ears, that I'm fairly pissed again.

The nurse on Wednesday recommended that I cut down on the port.

I've decided not to take any notice.

And to celebrate I had a steak & kidney pie (Morrisons, unreduced) with Heinz baked beans for lunch.

Damn.

These Bourne films are much longer with all the adverts.

Oh jolly good.

Now the doggie is banned again.

This virtue signalling is becoming beyond belief.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 2 February 2019, 22:38.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Tonight's big feature was Fast & Furious (2009), being the fourth of that ilk, but the third in the internal timeline thereof, which is what I've chosen to follow. Very big on cars again, but the story was OK too

And to follow, the umpteenth rewatch of Lola rennt (1998), aka Run Lola Run, though as I always watch it in the original German with English subtitles, it deserves its original title. Looks like I watched it last a mere six months ago, but who cares? It's a great film

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all

Clear blue skies and sunny here, with lots of snow & ice on the ground.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Today's trip down the dump supplemented by the trip to Tesco & Morrisons for the Sunday afternoon shop.

The lamb it is aroasting, along with the compulsory lamb's heart.

I hope it will be yum, but time will tell.

I suppose I could virtue signal by saying that it should be a nut roast.

I think the Snowflakes are winning because this place is no longer any fun at all.

That Mortimer chap is on DID today.

Thankfully it's not the other clown.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Sunny out

Still not that warm at a mere 3°C, but it's supposed to warm up tonight and then be quite a mild week, though with rain.

Comment

The lamb was roasted quite nicely & unusually the lamb's heart wasn't overcooked.

Now pondering what to do with the rest of the day since it's cold out* & I've done the shopping already.

*Seems to have warmed up a bit. Maybe now I can turn off the light in the outside bog that stops it freezing up. This option will be pointless once the stock of EUSSR banned light bulbs runs out.

<hiatus>

House vacced, or as much of the floor as I can see & manoeuvre the vac around got vacced.

Then it was renew the binbags containing crap from next door time, which occupied a good half hour out in the damp, dank, dreary, cold drizzle.

Managed not to lock The Cat in the garage despite his/her/its best attempts.

Now back indoors and have just turned the heating on for the first time today.

<hiatus>

Tea/dinner today was a couple of Morrison's chicken kievs which were okish. Reduced of course, with some salad spuds which tasted much the same as any other kind of spud.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 3 February 2019, 18:14.

Comment

Dicking around installing Windows Phone Emulator in Visual Studio on a virtual machine

Not very warm in here; I should have put the fire on when I got up rather than waiting until dusk

Comment

Dicking around installing Windows Phone Emulator in Visual Studio on a virtual machine
                      Probably more sophisticated than free Opera Mobile Emulator and Browser extensions I use. Just done a small mobile friendly website and simple website builder for a friend so she can update pictures and captions herself. Works ok for me on my cheap little phone but will see if she can grasp it tomorrow.

In addition to mobile phone emulators we need user emulators to ensure that a site is suitable for totally non techy idiots.
                      Last edited by xoggoth; 3 February 2019, 18:58.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X