• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Today's first feature in the unbearable tedium of a wet Saturday afternoon is "The Longest Day (1962)" with a plethora of stars ascendant and descendant.

The Longest Day (1962) - IMDb

Including a chap who was Captain Pike in another universe, far far away and long long ago.

Well that was loooooong, a bit like the day, really.

Rather good in a B&W sort of way.

This evening's 2nd feature, after a remarkably uninteresting tea/dinner obtained via cans left by the late Strangelove Mater some 4 or more years ago, proved to be "Eagle Eye (2008)" with Billy Bob Thornton, Shia LaBeouf, Rosario Dawson & Michelle Monaghan.

Eagle Eye (2008) - IMDb

I found it to be rather good in a demented way, but then I'm pissed as a fart so maybe that judgment is impaired in some inscrutable way.
    This evening's third and final feature was "The Bridge at Remagen (1969)" with George Segal, Robert "Napoleon Solo" Vaughn and Ben Gazzara.

The Bridge at Remagen (1969) - IMDb

It was suitably entertaining and very noisy.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Now to decide what to watch tonight. Spoilt for choice at the moment…
    You & me both.

It can take ages to find something to watch, despite knocking on for a 1000 dvds to choose from.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Finally succumbed to the lure of Geostorm (2017), in which a bunch of satellites and a giant space station have been constructed to control the weather and thereby prevent climate change (or possibly the other way around; it's a bit vague on the science) and then things start going wrong.

It's utter hokum, and the characters are exactly what you'd expect, including the maverick scientist, the precocious child, the dodgy politicians, and the hot Secret Service agent. But one watches this kind of thing for special effects and explosions, and in that department it's generally very good. If anything, they wasted too much time developing aspects of the story that could have been quickly glossed over in favour of spending more time on special effects and explosions. Anyway, there were still plenty of them, so overall, if this is the kind of thing you like, you'll like this

And I decided to continue with the space stations and explosions theme with a rewatch of Gravity (2013), in which Sandra Bullock does for space travel what she had previously done for public transport: career wildly on the brink of losing control until everything is smashed to pieces. Excellent stuff

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all Muddy but pleasant dog walk this morning
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey out

Going to be very windy this afternoon, apparently

Comment

Just had a snow shower blow through. Off for a big dog walk to a local hostelry shortly.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Much colder (the car said 4 deg C on the way out to Tesco).

Intermittently dry.

Intermittently rainy.

Intermittently hailing.

No murrain of beasts yet, but I'm sure it's somewhere on the list.

Windy.

Very windy.

An enormous gust just now produced a giant clonk audible through the Lidl(tm) eardefender wireless that I was wearing.

Turned out to be the lid of the glass bottle recycling receptacle (again), plus a couple of old doors that had been leaning against the wall next door that attempted to decapitate the rambler rose that's growing in the belfast sink.

Trip to Tesco, Lidl(tm) and Morrisons done.

Lidl, as ever, a mistake, came out with some universal thinner (very good), two packs of rechargable AA cells, and some label remover.

The thinner has the capacity to render one off planet if you're not too careful with it.

Lunch was roast beef, which was pretty nice this week.

Since the sun is shining I think I should go out & do some bagging up of crap ready for the binpersons on Thursday.

I'm sure they'll be eminently pleased to see it all.

3 black bags here, 3 black bags next door, and probably 2 black bags added to that put out by my next door neighbour.

I thought this afternoon's repeat of "The Unbelievable Truth" was astonishingly funny.

The bit about nuts particularly so.

This evening's epic is "Vera".
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 27 January 2019, 19:51.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Some roadworks have suddenly appeared outside

They seem to be doing something to the road just after the pedestrian crossing on this side with a noisy machine. Can't see exactly what as a big bush in next door's front garden is in the way.

Comment

And the roadworks have gone. Drive-by roadworks?

Comment

Off for Sunday dinner with friends soon. Not sure what it'll be, though roast pork is a distinct possibility

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      Off for Sunday dinner with friends soon. Not sure what it'll be, though roast pork is a distinct possibility
                      Roast pork it was, and exceedingly nice it was, as was the rest of the dinner

Well breezy out now

Comment

Working...
                      X