• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I remember when it was first on telly: Boxing Day 1989, so I was at my parents' place for Christmas, unable to escape, and my brother insisted on watching it

I've occasionally been tempted to give it a second chance, but maybe I won't bother
    FF helped.

A lot.

My memories of watching it in the cinema in 1986/7 are much different.

It seemed ok then.

Looking at the reviews, it seems that some think it's the best film ever.

I'm with Ellis Peters opinion, really.

She reckoned the book was a rip off of Cadfael and pretentious beyond belief with all that untranslated Latin the twat included.

I think she was right.

Apparently Eco was into semiotics and post modernism whatever the feck that was or is.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

Some rain overnight, and it's grey out, but warmed up a bit: 9°C

There was a power cut just as I was going to bed last night. Lasted about fifty minutes, so when it came back on I was rudely awakened by my bedside lamp coming on, as it's touch-sensitive so I don't know how to turn it off when there's no power

And that was followed almost immediately by a loud Apple startup chime from the living room, as the iMac is set to automatically start up after a power cut and I was listening to music on it the other day so the volume was set pretty high.

All I wanted was for the fridge and freezer to get back to work; I don't need the entire place reactivating itself around me like one of those films where banks of lights come on one after the other with loud clicks and hums

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        Apparently Eco was into semiotics and post modernism whatever the feck that was or is.
        My knowledge of such matters is derived solely from David Lodge taking the piss out of them in his novels, particularly Nice Work

I got the DVD of his 1989 BBC TV adaptation of that for Christmas.

Comment

Morning all Damp and murky on the walk earlier, but now the sun seems to have burned off the clouds.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            I was rudely awakened by my bedside lamp coming on, as it's touch-sensitive so I don't know how to turn it off when there's no power

And that was followed almost immediately by a loud Apple startup chime from the living room, as the iMac is set to automatically start up after a power cut and I was listening to music on it the other day so the volume was set pretty high.

All I wanted was for the fridge and freezer to get back to work; I don't need the entire place reactivating itself around me like one of those films where banks of lights come on one after the other with loud clicks and hums
            Dunno why but this sprang to mind:

Oh, and the ancient red bulb on a timer I use to wake up on a skool morning has finally blown, after all those years of faithful service.

Ho hum.

Comment

Shopping accomplished

Comment

X55 home.

Tea/dinner was M&S breaded haddock which was slightly overcooked but still fairly reasonable.

Forgot to look for a red bulb in Wilkinsons.

Apparently "we" aren't allowed anything other than CFL or LED these days.

Fecking EUSSR.

This evening's epic is "Rebecca" wtih Larry Olivier and Joan Fontaine, directed by A. Hitchcock.

Rebecca (1940) - IMDb

Good to see the Vulcan High Priestess.

I rather enjoyed that.

Now to find another proper light bulb.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 25 January 2019, 22:18.

Comment

This business of getting the forum database to work with Unicode is a right can of worms… at least I'm learning a lot more than I wanted to know about it

Comment

™ ?

Well, that seems to work OK right now

What about ??*✈️ - ah, no, that one breaks; it should be a woman pilot

Comment

Tea has been reheated roast chicken - a leg, a wing, and a couple of slices of breast - with chips. Very tasty, it was

And to accompany it, some of Hospital, which I am pleased to see has returned to BBC - this time from Liverpool, where the brand new almost-completed hospital stands empty because of Carillion going bust, while the old building (which is where my Dad was treated for his first heart attack, which happened while he was up there for a visit in 2000) is having to be used even though it's literally falling to pieces

Comment

Working...
                      X