• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For lunch: Scotch broth out of the freezer, with some wholemeal bread

Currently trying to persuade myself to walk into town. One of my hearing aids has developed a couple of cracks running from the corners of the battery compartment, rather like metal fatigue around the window of a de Havilland Comet causing it to break up in flight, so I need to go to Specsavers to see about getting it fixed. But the problem is that I'm lazy and can't be bothered

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      But the problem is that I'm lazy and can't be bothered
      I eventually found the motivation to get walking by reminding myself that I had a Waterstones gift card I received at Christmas to use

One of my hearing aids has developed a couple of cracks running from the corners of the battery compartment, rather like metal fatigue around the window of a de Havilland Comet causing it to break up in flight, so I need to go to Specsavers to see about getting it fixed.
      And of course it turns out that damage to The Shell is excluded from the manufacturer's warranty

They'll send it to said manufacturer, who will assess the damage and decide if it's covered or not. So I ended up using the Comet line, pointing out that the cracks run from opposite corners of the battery compartment door along lines of the shell where the plastic seems to be at its thinnest due to being on sharply angled curves. My theory is that a misaligned hinge might be causing a strain on the shell when the door is opened and closed (which is how you turn it off and on), similar to the Comet fuselage failing due to thermal expansion and contraction causing metal fatigue spreading from the corners of windows and doors.

They said they'd attach a note pointing out the damage has spread from the corners in that manner. I doubt this will help much, but you never know. If it doesn't, it's something like £170 to have it fixed

Comment

pointing out that the cracks run from opposite corners of the battery compartment door...
        At least your complaints are nice and specific. I moderate a local Freecycle group and got a message from a user - "can't find it!"
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

X5 tonight.

No mad old lady on it so I didn't bother coughing.

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Cold. 14.4 in the living room, laundry room at 5.3 with a min of 5.
          It got a bit colder: 4.6 to be precise.

And it was 13 deg in here when I got home.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 9 January 2019, 18:54.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I eventually found the motivation to get walking by reminding myself that I had a Waterstones gift card I received at Christmas to use
            And one of the books I bought was Helene Hanff's 84 Charing Cross Road, which I've just read. Very enjoyable; I think almost all of it is in the film.

It's in a single volume with her following book The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street, in which she recounts her visit to London in 1971. So there's that to read too

Comment

Excellent!

Will you also be allowed to dive at dawn?
              Nope, but this evening's epic epic was "Above Us The Waves(1955)" with John Mills et al.

Above Us the Waves (1955) - IMDb

It rarely ceases to amaze me when I see the courage of these people.

And one of the books I bought was Helene Hanff's 84 Charing Cross Road, which I've just read. Very enjoyable; I think almost all of it is in the film.

It's in a single volume with her following book The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street, in which she recounts her visit to London in 1971. So there's that to read too

Good, innit?

Quite moving in its way.

The lack of vampires is rather disappointing though.

TFBSZ.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 9 January 2019, 22:13.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

For tea tonight, a delicious pork chop, with chips, peas, and gravy

I am reduced to the NHS hearing aids for watching telly. They aren't as good

Though I could still use the right in-ear one while the left is away, I suppose.

I might just read my book instead, or maybe go for something foreign again so I don't need to hear so well

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  The burgers don't flip themselves up here you know!

Indeed the spit doesn't get in the coffee on its own.

Don't ask for extra cream with NLyUK working here,
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

One reason always to keep your coat on the back of your chair, or at least hanging up somewhere directly between your desk and the nearest fire exit

Still, it gets you out for a breath of fresh air, and it's all billable time

we got told off for taking our coffees with us lukewarm coffee in a travel mug.

felt the heat
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I might just read my book instead
                      And so it came to pass. The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street is also a very good read

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X