• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me all week at random moments entirely unrelated to shopping: "I must remember to get {thing} when I do the shopping."

Me about to do the shopping: "I know there was something I needed to get…"

Comment

Anyone got any experience with personal alarms for the elderly? You know those pendant things that alert the emergency services or friends.

Yes, I've googled, but wondering if the TPD collective either have elderly friends/relatives that have them (or perhaps have one yourself)
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Anyone got any experience with personal alarms for the elderly? You know those pendant things that alert the emergency services or friends.

Yes, I've googled, but wondering if the TPD collective either have elderly friends/relatives that have them (or perhaps have one yourself)
        Yes, my partner's mother has one.
        a pendant to begin with, but she wouldn't keep it on all the time, said it was annoying her etc.
        (she has dementia).
        We had it switched to a watch style, she lives with that ok.

Comment

Anyone got any experience with personal alarms for the elderly? You know those pendant things that alert the emergency services* or friends.

Strangelove Mater had one for all the good it did.

Strangelove himself worked on the Wolsey Comcare version, so avoid that one like the plague assuming it's still around, which I rather doubt.

Possibly responsible for a "dead fly" incident.

I couldn't possibly comment, but a low battery indication that goes away as the battery gets even flatter is not good design but an example of the hardware people not talking to the software people.

I've actually done some work today, so it's time to feck off & do sommat more interesting.

*Not directly they don't, it has to go via a call centre. You are not allowed to & very probably can't enter 999.

Stangelove Mater fell over a couple of times but never pressed the button.

Just to add to the joy the carers wouldn't help her up (not allowed, apparently) and she had to wait for me to come home.

Which was jolly.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 19 October 2018, 19:37.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

MrsB's Grandmother had one while she was still at home. Worked well as she starting having regular falls and was able to get help when she needed it. I forget the name of the product but when she pressed the button it would trigger a call to the control room who would then try and talk to her via an intercom system plugged into the phone line. No need for her to answer the phone it acted as an open line. If they didnt get a response trying to talk to her they would call 999 for an ambulance / police. She needed it maybe half a dozen times over a 3 year period before she moved into a care home.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Shopping done

And they've finally enabled pay-at-pump at the petrol station, something like three-and-a-half years after they caused massive inconvenience for months installing it

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Me all week at random moments entirely unrelated to shopping: "I must remember to get {thing} when I do the shopping."

Me about to do the shopping: "I know there was something I needed to get…"
              One of the {thing}s was a box of lamb Oxo cubes. I remembered them!

Then, putting the bags in the car, I noticed them in the bottom of the trolley (in their box). I assumed they'd fallen out of one of the bags, and chucked them back in. But then I started wondering… I couldn't remember actually scanning them

So I've just checked the receipt, and it turns out I stole them

Assuming the police don't track me down first, I'll have to give myself up at the customer service desk next time I'm in there

Comment

Stop hairy simian thief!

Surely it should have been PG Tips to keep the universe on a stable keel.

Just missed the T6 on the way home, & caught the 58 instead.

Stone me, that one was a rattle trap.

Tea was the usual M&S breaded haddock, followed by the last of the stewed green gooseberries and custard.

I may have to purchase furhter supplies of custard powder if this goes on much longer.

Currently watching a remarkably uninteresting programme about the Lake District on BBC2 HD (not 2 Wales, which has the obligatory rugger).

About to watch the nutjob railway thing on 5.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 19 October 2018, 19:59.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  MrsB's Grandmother had one while she was still at home. Worked well as she starting having regular falls and was able to get help when she needed it. I forget the name of the product but when she pressed the button it would trigger a call to the control room who would then try and talk to her via an intercom system plugged into the phone line. No need for her to answer the phone it acted as an open line. If they didnt get a response trying to talk to her they would call 999 for an ambulance / police. She needed it maybe half a dozen times over a 3 year period before she moved into a care home.
                  the latest one <well, the one we have> detects falls, no button press necessary.
                  calls the intercom, then the primary carer, then ES, in that order.

Comment

Did I mention the family of swans observed on the canal?

Cob, Pen, and 8 fully grown cygnets.

I was very impressed.

It's obviously been a good year for swans.

The Somerset & Dorset is sending me to sleep.

I'm staying awake with the thing on BBC4 about synth music from the 70s.

It's "My Friend's Electric" at the moment, being, I understand, a reference to "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep".
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 19 October 2018, 21:09.

Comment

that's 'are friends electric'.
                      yes, - i know, - pedant! <where music's concerned, anyway>
                      but this means nothing to me.....

oh! vienna

Comment

Working...
                      X