• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    ??????
    I want to let users generate static maps (i.e. the whole map on one image) but it takes several seconds, or even up to a few minutes, to render a map.

So the user positions the slippy map (like Google Maps, where the map is actually lots of smaller images tiled together) on the area and at the zoom level they want, then submits the request; but it'll be a few seconds, at least, before it's ready.

By putting the rendering on a background task, the web server can send an immediate response saying "OK, request received and understood, I'm drawing that, it'll be ready whenever." It makes for a better user experience than sitting staring at the browser progress bar for ages, wondering if it's crashed or something.

And the business of intercepting requests for maps that don't exist is so that the server can look and see if that's one of the ones it's sent off to be done in the background. If it's in the queue, it can say it's not ready yet, or even (maybe) say it's going to be another two minutes, or it's 80% done, or whatever. And if it isn't one that's in the queue, it can just send back 404 Not Found as normal.

And as and when the map has finally been drawn, all future requests for it will just be sent the image file directly, now that it exists

I may not end up using it that way, but it was all easy enough to get working, so it was worth prototyping it just to have it to play with

Comment

Tea tonight was lamb chops with chips, peas, and gravy; and it was very nice indeed

Comment

While I was watching the railway nutjob on 5, it rained so hard that the picture dropped out.

The Freesat HD receiver has never done that before.

By contrast, the Freesat SD receiver was showing perfect bars banging against the end stops, though on a different channel.

There be flooding a mile or so up the valley, boyo.

Which isn't very nice but those houses were supposed to be demolished about 30 years ago for that very reason.

So it's a bit late to complain now.

Also discovered that text appears to have disappeared from the Beeb's standard transmissions, News, 1,2, & 4.

Or the box is buggered.

Have now watched 2 hours & 20 minutes of "On the Beach(2000)".

It departs a little from the book & the film but it's pretty good all in all.

I wonder if we'll see Brian Brown racing his Ferrari the way that Fred Astaire raced his.

Tomorrow will tell us the answer assuming I'm not washed away overnight.

In other news, the washing got itself done & dried as is usual for a Friday.

And I think I need to watch something a bit lighter tomorrow.

The Seventh Seal perhaps. .
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          The Seventh Seal perhaps. .
          I've never seen that, but it's on my "to watch" list

This evening's entertainment hereabouts started with Den of Thieves (2018), a heist movie with added gun battles. There was also some added family drama about the head cop's side of the equation, which served no real purpose and would have trimmed twenty minutes or so if it had been left out; but despite that, it was pretty good.

And then a rewatch of John Wick (2014), in which Keanu Reeves renders that whole thing about "no animals were harmed" somewhat irrelevant, given the almost incessant harming of people. But I don't suppose the vegans see it that way. Anyway, an excellent film, I reckon.

And a bit more of The West Wing. I think I'm stuck with that until the end now

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            I've never seen that, but it's on my "to watch" list
            Very deep & meaningful.

I think it was mentioned here by someone before.

Haven't blown away or drowned overnight, but the sleep was pretty erratic.

Not improved by a coughing fit at about 01:30 ish which ended with me having to sit up in bed for a while.

I wish this lurgy/flu jab would piss off.

I've opened the windows upstairs to freshen the air up a bit.

And something just blew shut with an enormous clunk.

And once I've finished my tea it'll be time to wander off down town on the Saturday shopping expedition.

The sheer anticipation is palpable.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 October 2018, 08:30.

Comment

Morning all

another couple of hundred grams foraged this morning, a little of which went into breakfast.

Blustery day here, so time to hang the washing out then do a bit of gardening.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Couldn't work out why Mapnik was failing to render land polygons, leading to bits of dry land not appearing. After mucking about for ages making sure it was building OK, the server was configured OK, the Mapnik mapfile was correct, and so on, it turned out the polygon shapefiles were somehow corrupted.

Fixed now

Oh, and adding database GIN indexes has shaved a few seconds off the rendering time

see its always the last place you look!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I want to let users generate static maps (i.e. the whole map on one image) but it takes several seconds, or even up to a few minutes, to render a map.

So the user positions the slippy map (like Google Maps, where the map is actually lots of smaller images tiled together) on the area and at the zoom level they want, then submits the request; but it'll be a few seconds, at least, before it's ready.

By putting the rendering on a background task, the web server can send an immediate response saying "OK, request received and understood, I'm drawing that, it'll be ready whenever." It makes for a better user experience than sitting staring at the browser progress bar for ages, wondering if it's crashed or something.

And the business of intercepting requests for maps that don't exist is so that the server can look and see if that's one of the ones it's sent off to be done in the background. If it's in the queue, it can say it's not ready yet, or even (maybe) say it's going to be another two minutes, or it's 80% done, or whatever. And if it isn't one that's in the queue, it can just send back 404 Not Found as normal.

And as and when the map has finally been drawn, all future requests for it will just be sent the image file directly, now that it exists

I may not end up using it that way, but it was all easy enough to get working, so it was worth prototyping it just to have it to play with
                  nicely explained.

Comment

Impressive amount of water on the marsh this morning.

And an equally impressive current evident in the (very brown) canal.

This may intimate that the river is over topping the banks up in Abeerdulais, which I've seen once before, where it flows over the bank into the canal.

Hopefully the canal banks lower down will take the strain or there may be trouble ahead.

Another 9" of dvds purchased.

It was a bit of a struggle this morning but there you go.

Still looking for MI IV.

And, even more unlikely, "Gods & Monsters".

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    see its always the last place you look!
                    Unless it's in the first place you look & you can't see the wood for the trees.

This happens to me disturbingly frequently these days.

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Blustery day here, so time to hang the washing out then do a bit of gardening.
                    It's unseasonably warm here, which, considering the amount of clothes I wore to town, nearly made me pass out.

The addition of the jumper really really wasn't a good idea.

Any washing hung (?hanged?) on the line would be horizontal most of the time.

If not in a different county.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 October 2018, 11:16.

Comment

And Relax

After what seems an eternity looking for a new job, it seems I am now gainfully employed (Subject to contracts & references).

A Greenfield site with no BI / Data warehouse and a new CEO & CIO who want it to happen, its all my baby!

I have a few other irons in the fire, sensible jobs appeared end of September as predicted by a few folks on here & elsewhere. However this was my favourite before the second interview. Its paying more than the Brownfield site with issues in the smoke. Not as much as the consultancies but I get home every night.

Just as the cherry on top, they are chucking in a few more K for basic plus a 10% Bonus.
                      Oh and smell that pension!

Its a half hour car commute! I could cycle it in a reasonable time in the summer.

I feel so MF right now !

Comment

Working...
                      X