• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    This evening's televisual entertainment was "Goodbye Mr. Chips(1939)" with Robert Donat and Greer Garson.

It was rather affecting in its way.

Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939) - IMDb

It would appear that Mr Chippings began his career in 1870 & popped his clogs in 1933 if my maths is correct.
    I watched that a while back - it's a good film. The bit when he's reading out the names of the old boys who've been killed in the Great War always reminds me of assemblies in the Memorial Hall when I was in the Lower School (ages 11 - 13) at the posh school I went to on my 11-plus scholarship; the wall at the front of the room was covered in the names of those old boys who had died in that war, and the back wall with those who'd died in the Second World War. Thus for the front wall:

The image is linked to a larger version; if you look closely at the second column to the right of centre on that, you can see the name of H. H. Munro, who was a well-known writer of humorous stories under the name Saki. It's said that his last words before being shot by a German sniper were "Put that bloody cigarette out"

Tonight's film festival round mine opened with a rewatch of Edge of Tomorrow (2014), in which Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt - along with hundreds of thousands of other people - battle a race of alien invaders, repeatedly, and Tom Cruise dies, repeatedly: it's one of those time loop things, and I think its an extremely good one

And after that, a new one (to me): Last Passenger (2013), being a runaway train story set on a decrepit three-carriage slam-door diesel train on the Hastings Line, which makes a change from the usual somewhere-in-America-with-a-rickety-bridge setting. Pretty good, I thought, though I'm dubious about some of the finer points concerning how trains actually work. But worth a watch, all in all

Goodnight all

Comment

Persisting down in M17 this morning.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Grey.

Rosy fingered Dawn vainly attempting to break through the murk over Margam.

Dry.

Warmish.

Not much else to say really.

I'm beginning to think I'm stuck in a time loop too.

Groundhog day without the prospect of rumpy pumpy.

When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all!

Day 23 of permydon.

Bolton on't 'ill - grey skies, the odd low level fluffy white cloud.

Dropped little boy at Breakfast club this morning for the first time - for me, not him - Which was nice!

Leaving at 14:45 to collect him from school which is even nicerer!

Employer has instigated a Two Part Authentication method and insisted that we all have company 'phones for the purpose - they handed out Nokia 3310 3G handsets! I kid you not!!!

Paperwork day today - Safety Critical stuff so loads of paperwork!

Have a good day all!
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Morning all a crisp autumnal morning with clear skies earlier, but now the odd cloud blowing through.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Afternoon all

Off the bench and on site with ClientCo tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by covbob View Post
                Afternoon all

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  Grey.

Rosy fingered Dawn vainly attempting to break through the murk over Margam.

Dry.

Warmish.

Not much else to say really.

I'm beginning to think I'm stuck in a time loop too.

Groundhog day without the prospect of rumpy pumpy.

Aren't you a little "old" for that kind of thing anyway?
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Grey but mild again

Comment

Originally posted by covbob View Post
                      Afternoon all

Comment

Working...
                      X