• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I think that is age not a twelve bore.
    Very probably.

My cocktail party filter is totally screwed too, so I'm effectively deaf under those circumstances.

At least that's my excuse for not going to cocktail parties.

How anyone can tolerate the racket produced by the "band" at my sister's 60th birthday bash is beyond me.

I found it too loud two rooms away.

Today's first televisual feast was a documentary about the 3rd Marquess of Bute, who was, at one time, the richest man in the world.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 20 August 2018, 16:58.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
      Gosh.

Looks very complicated.

Dunno what "normal" hearing is supposed to look like.

I know my mate, who'd done a lot of shooting, had a distinct trough around 2kHz which apparently caused a lot of problems with understanding speech, particularly with some of our overseas esteemed customers.

Mind you, I have much the same problem with some of them, sometimes I have to close my eyes to increase the amount of processing available to the audio centre.

Oh, having spent 5 minutes on research it looks as if the intent is to even out the lumps & bumps & more the lines upward and make them flatter.

Inneresting.
      Some years ago, they identified the fairly severe hearing loss in my father's left ear as characteristic of damage from firing a submachine gun when he did his National Service in the RAF. As a result, he was awarded a small War Disability Pension from HM Government, despite there not having been a war during the two years he was in

He hadn't even realised he had any hearing loss on that side until an infection destroyed most of his hearing on the other side.

Comment

Quite fancied fish & chips for dinner, but the chip shop closes at 9pm for some strange reason

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Quite fancied fish & chips for dinner, but the chip shop closes at 9pm for some strange reason
          Most of the ones around here do as well, and the ones that stay open till 10 aren't worth bothering with after 9 as trade drops off so much the chips end up being old and dry.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Most of the ones around here do as well, and the ones that stay open till 10 aren't worth bothering with after 9 as trade drops off so much the chips end up being old and dry.
            I was spoiled having Salvatore's place just down the road for so long - he stayed open until 11 as I recall, and I've known him put on a fresh batch of chips when I've walked in during a quiet spell and throw away the old ones while they were frying

I ended up having one of those fancy M&S burgers out of the freezer, with the last of the frozen chips - very nice, it was, so disaster averted

Comment

This evening's lunacy on the television started off with the final ep of "The Bletchley Circle: San Fran's Disco" which ground to a conclusion of sorts.

It may be back.

Followed by the extreme & utter lunacy of "McBain" with Christopher Walken and Michael Ironside.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102422/

Oddly, all the Columbians looked liked Filipinos, as did all of the Vietnamese.

Body count is allegedly 240, though quite how they counted them all is beyond me.

I have two copies of this epic, one of which has a running time of 90 mins, the other 98 mins.

The actual running time including credits is 103 mins.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                This evening's lunacy on the television started off with the final ep of "The Bletchley Circle: San Fran's Disco" which ground to a conclusion of sorts.

It may be back.

Followed by the extreme & utter lunacy of "McBain" with Christopher Walken and Michael Ironside.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102422/

Oddly, all the Columbians looked liked Filipinos, as did all of the Vietnamese.

Body count is allegedly 240, though quite how they counted them all is beyond me.

I have two copies of this epic, one of which has a running time of 90 mins, the other 98 mins.

The actual running time including credits is 103 mins.
                Didn't they have a Kill-ometer like Commando?
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Breakfast - dead pig in bread + apple & gooseberry juice.
                  lunch - salmon paste sandwiches + tomatoes.
                  Dinner - slow cooked chicken + Broccoli and cauliflower + homebrew rhubarb wine (one of my 5 a day?)
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Tonight's non-subtitled entertainment was Arrival (2016), in which a fleet of giant alien ships doesn't menace the governments of Earth: they just confuse them by not speaking English, forcing them to turn to linguists for help. It's pretty good, if not suitable for fans of death rays and such. Though quite why a studio thinks it's acceptable to make a film about difficulty in communication and then sell it without subtitles is beyond me

And after that, one of the more boring episodes of The West Wing, where the big topic is the president and his wife having a minor disagreement about something. At least it's out of the way now, bringing me closer to one of the good ones about assassination attempts or some such, or at least one that has that cool war room (in which they can't fight).

I've started to understand that thing about the brain feeling a little overwhelmed by the change in circumstances when first wearing hearing aids; it's felt that way several times today. But I believe it's best to just say sod the brain, it'll have to cope, so that's what I've done. Apparently it learns faster that way. Anyway, if you ignore it and carry on, it passes almost immediately, suggesting to me that those who give up on wearing the things entirely just because of their inability to adjust (yes, that really happens) are merely lacking in moral fibre

Related: aren't crisps loud? Even the packet makes a racket

Goodnight all

Comment

Living room temp: 20.0.

Laundry room temp 18.3 with a min of 17.8.

According to the weather person the muggy air is about to be blown away from the north so there'll be icicles hanging from the eves by the BH.

As for the Killometer, McBain is nowhere near the quality of "Commando".

In fact there's no Sunbeam Alpine in it at all.

Though at least 30 nasty VC are offed in the first 5 minutes or so.

Loved the use of the random location at the top of the Brooklyn Bridge.

<hiatus>

Now in with the hoi polloi.

And yes! It's Lego day again.

And so onwards and downwards we go.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 21 August 2018, 09:17.

Comment

Working...
                      X