• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocking, quite quite shocking.

The rain has turned out nice.

Lovely & heavy on the way down the dump, got wet walking from the car to the bottle bank & thence to the plastic bottle & household waste skips.

Thereafter I got myself hence to Tesco & Morrisons.

There was no cranberry juice in Morrisons and there' been no pomegranate juice for yonks other than the last forever kind which is ok at a push but not as good as the other stuff.

Tempted to wash the car since it's already started raining.

I calmed down & ran the cleaner over the house instead.

It's amazing how little time it takes when you can't move anything or see much of the floor.

I've had my tea.

Two chicken cheese & bacon kievs that were cooked at lunchtime & festered in a cooling oven until now.

They were augmented with a bowl of lentil <pffffft> soup, which wasn't horribly sweet this time.

Following which I finished reading my current book, this being "How We Got To Now" by Steven Johnson, remaindered in The Works for £3.

Apparently there's a BBC/PBS tv series that goes with it which I have no memory of having watched, though since it might have screened in 2014 there are reasons why I might not have bothered.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 1 July 2018, 16:39.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Roast beef cob for a late lunch, being the last of the beef originally sliced and frozen for lunchtime cobs at ExClientCo

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        The Saturday Spy Special started with Salt (2010). Lots of double-crossing and triple-crossing in this, and I thought it was very good

To continue the theme: Red Sparrow (2018), which is deserving of trigger warnings for having a heck of a lot of sexual abuse and torture; more than one might expect from a Hollywood film featuring a big star like Jennifer Lawrence. But the violence is relevant to the story, and it's a cracking film

And to round off the evening, after last night's La cabina, I felt it was time for a rewatch of one of my favourite films: Lola Rennt, aka Run Lola Run. As always, I switched to the original German soundtrack with English subtitles. I've never seen it in the dubbed-into-English form, and I hope I never will. One of the best films ever made, and worth watching on Blu-ray if only to be able to spot all the different hues dyed into Lola's hair, some of which I'd missed before. There's always something new to find in this film

Goodnight all
        I'm assuming that following the early episodes of "the Americans" with the very lovely & Photogenic Kerri Russell acting as a honey trap on multiple occasions they thought it would add to the story.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Ah, feckit, the sun's coming out again.

It's gone in again.

Stome me it's humid.

And the lentil <pffffft> soup is in the freezer.

This evening's first feature is "In which we serve", being a film about the destroyer "HMS Torin" back in the days when we had a navy and the Krauts were busily sinking as much of it as they could. And at the time, 1942, that was a considerable amount.

Based on Uncle Dickie and the loss of HMS Kelly.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034891/

About halfway through now.

Oddly put together film, it's many years since I saw it last.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 1 July 2018, 18:33.

Comment

lentil <pffffft> soup
            ??

Is zeity back?
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              ??

Is zeity back?
              Where's my :surprised: face?

Comment

Chicken and chips for tea

It's still too hot

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Chicken and chips for tea

It's still too hot
                  It is. Be thankful you are not a middle aged, menopausal woman.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    ??

Is zeity back?
                    Nein!

Who is this "zeity" of which you speak?

So that's "In which we serve" done and dusted.

I've got two copies of course.

Rather a nice transfer too, plus a documentary made in 2000.

Turns out that Celia Johnson was Lucy Fleming's mum.

Just had news of the dear nephew's birthday meal.

In Cardiff.

On Thursday.

I've made my apologies.

I can't be arsed.

In the pile is a copy of "49th Parallel" which is a 1941 film told from the perspective of a U boat crew stranded in Canada (with whom they were at war) and attempt to reach the safety of SepticLand (with whom they were not at war since Hirohito hadn't bombed Pearl Harbour yet).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033627/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It was on tv last year some time.

I may watch this next.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 1 July 2018, 21:31.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      It is. Be thankful you are not a middle aged, menopausal woman.
                      It's bad enough being a middle-aged, menopausal man

Comment

Working...
                      X