• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This evening's entertainment is "The Saint (1997)" with Val (notsofat) Kilmer and Liz (long before CSI) Shue.

We're currently 44 minutes in, so judge for yourself.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120053/
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 29 June 2018, 07:36.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

For dinner tonight, I sought inspiration from the mystical transport caffs of Olde England, and came up with a dish I call sausages bacon chips and beans

I suppose for the true transport caff experience I should have put a misplaced apostrophe in there somewhere; "chip's" probably

Comment

Tonight's opening feature: The Equalizer (2014), in which Edward Woodward dons blackface Denzil Washington works in a B&Q where he ensures various pieces of wood are cut to the same length; hence the title.

Then there's some other stuff about him going all vigilante on the asses of some bad people, which actually takes up most of the film despite having nothing to do with the sawing of planks.

Rather good, I thought, in a violent kind of way.

And to follow: Divergent (2014), set in a dystopian future blah blah blah. The first thing one notices is that the entire film hinges on the way this future society is rigidly structured into various "factions" composed of people who all exhibit the same character traits. The next thing one notices is that this is an utterly ridiculous notion, and that any society structured in the manner of the one in the film would collapse into chaos in about five minutes.

But a bit of willing suspension of disbelief can take one a long way. In this case, it takes one far enough to see that some studio executive realised that The Hunger Games films were very successful, and that making a series of films featuring a teenage female protagonist learning how to kick ass and lead a rebellion against - you guessed it - a dystopian society might make them a few bob. And lo! It came to pass

Still, it's not that bad for hokum; I was rather gripped, and although it's no Hunger Games, it's good fun. Take it on its own terms, and you'll enjoy it

I've even gone so far as to buy the next two films in the series (the fourth and final part is to be released later this year) so I'll be able to provide updates on this story to TPD as it develops

Goodnight all

Comment

I really enjoyed "The Equaliser" with Denzel Washington.

I didn't think it would work, but it did.

It's made me treat B&Q server droids with more respect, just in case they pop a cap my arse, like, as the young people are wont to say.

I also notice it was a bad day to work in newspaper publishing in the pinnacle of Freedom as we know it.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          For dinner tonight, I sought inspiration from the mystical transport caffs of Olde England, and came up with a dish I call sausages bacon chips and beans

I suppose for the true transport caff experience I should have put a misplaced apostrophe in there somewhere; "chip's" probably

It's ok.

You made up for it by spelung Mr Washington's first name wrong.

Comment

Morning all

Clear blue skies, no breeze, what a beautiful day. Shame I have to work.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning folks.

Looks like they've sorted the Winter Hill fire out - no smoke visible from the office like it was yesterday. Can't see Saddleworth Moor from here but that's a peat-based moor so will smoulder for days if not weeks yet.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Surprise: sunny again

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                You made up for it by spelung Mr Washington's first name wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  I really enjoyed "The Equaliser" with Denzel Washington.

I didn't think it would work, but it did.
                  There's a sequel coming out in August, imaginatively titled The Equalizer 2

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    There's a sequel coming out in August, imaginatively titled The Equalizer 2
                    I'll wait until appears in the charity emporia, assuming I live that long.

Just so everyone remembers, tis the end of the Saga saga this very evening, BBC2, 21:00.

As someone said previously
                    Originally posted by some numpty or other
                    I shall miss Saga

In other other news, the H&S drone couldn't make it this afternoon, so it's deferred until Monday.

My disinterest knows no bounds.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 29 June 2018, 13:03.

Comment

Spoke too soon. Looks like there's another fire up on Winter Hill, albeit smaller than yesterday's.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X