• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    And I just realised that I have yet to dig the spuds, so I suppose I'd better do that this evening.

It'll either be surprisingly good, or more probably, surprisingly crap.
    Surprisingly mediocre, sort of halfway between good & crap.

I don't remember planting any reds, but a fair few reds came up.

Sadly none of them resembled an ex-Korbyn.

In other news, as I was eating the ZeitTea (M&S battered haddock, very nice), a big black cloud drifted slowly up the valley, boyos, and obscured what there was of the sun.

I've had to put the light on since it's got so dark.

Winter draws on.

And down the valley to the west, there's a glorious golden sunset shining away, turning the underside of the cloud into golden peaks and troughs.

Except they're inverted, like.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 19 September 2017, 18:01.

Comment

Home!

Finally

Today's been an absolute feckin' nightmare on the roads. This morning there was a car v. car transporter accident blocking one of the main A14/A141/A1 junctions, which meant I finished up on a massive detour and was nearly half-an-hour late arriving at ClientCo. I made up some time by cutting my lunch break short and set off at ten to five. Turned out some broken-down van had blocked the A14, leading to a massive buildup of traffic before the A1. So I was looking at getting home a bit after half six.

But, when I finally get to this end… football traffic!

It was backed up almost all the way to the motorway. In the end, I did a detour into the wilds of the big council estate down that way, travelling through streets I've never seen before until I finally persuaded Google Maps that I wasn't going to double back and rejoin the queue three hundred yards up the road, and it eventually guided me by various back roads to home

So I'm home about an hour later than usual, and quite frankly I could do without it

Anyway, here now, and that's the main thing

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        In the end, I did a detour into the wilds of the big council estate down that way, travelling through streets I've never seen before
        Goodness me, it's a wonder you survived.

Was it anything like the documentary "Harry Brown"?

Comment

Goodness me, it's a wonder you survived.

Was it anything like the documentary "Harry Brown"?
          Not quite that bad these days, though I didn't get down to the worst part

Back in the mid-1980s it was so bad that while most areas had years-long queues for council houses, the council used to advertise every month in the local paper for people to live there.

I knew a couple who took up the opportunity. When they moved in the house had been empty for three days and had been comprehensively trashed in that time, but the council said there was no point fixing it until they were actually living there, as it'd just get trashed again. So for the first week or two they had council workmen in every day. When the workmen left at the end of each day, they nailed the front door shut, even though the house was occupied.

There was a phone box just down the road from them in which the phone hadn't actually been vandalised. Instead, the entire phone box (one of the old red ones) was lying on its side about six feet from its plinth

So no, not as bad as it used to be

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Tonight's movie spectacular was K-19: the Widowmaker, based (very loosely according to the surviving crew members) on the true story of the USSR's first nuclear missile submarine, which broke down in the North Atlantic on its maiden voyage. It was interesting enough, but not as exciting as, say The Hunt for Red October or Morning Departure

Goodnight all

I passed on the opportunity to purchase this today due to the above review.

I shoplifted "22 Bullets" instead, then went back & paid for it.

Dunno if you've seen "Crimson Tide" with Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman?

That's pretty good.

Comment

Dunno if you've seen "Crimson Tide" with Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman?

That's pretty good.
              No, I haven't seen that one - added to the list

Comment

Ribs and chips for tea

And to accompany it on the telescreen, a bit of some programme about bailiffs on one of those channels that recycles years-old stuff from other channels

Suitably vacuous stuff for eating by

Comment

Feeling a bit blue.

Child#1 taking me (and winning) for a mug.

Need a if anyone feels so inclined.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Feeling a bit blue.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-adult-addicts

I fail on all accounts.

Where does supporting become enabling?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      Feeling a bit blue.

Comment

Working...
                      X