• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs and chips for dinner

While eating, I watched a bit of a 9/11 documentary - well, more a compilation of footage from on the scene, presented pretty much in real time - on More 4

I've got the DVD of the documentary by those French chaps who were with the Fire Department and got the footage of the first plane hitting, and then almost got killed in the lobby of the north tower when the south tower fell. I've watched it once. I occasionally tell myself I'll watch it again, but I never have

Comment

This evening's first & only feature was "The Counterfeiters" (2007) based on the true story of the Jewish counterfeiters employed by the Nazis to produce £132M of £5, £10, & £20 notes during the last major unpleasantness.

The Counterfeiters (2007) - IMDb

It was rather good in its way.

The extras include interviews with a chap who was in Saxenhausen working as a counterfeiter, the last one then extant, at the grand old age of 90. I suspect he's not around any more.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      I see we have a Met Office warning for high winds tomorrow

Gusts up to 75mph apparently. Hope the trees outside are OK
      I feel sure the shipping forecast will tell us more.

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
      50% acetone + 50% automatic transmission fluid is the best. Try tighten it before loosening it.

Got a gallon of TQF somewhere. I'm not sure the acetone is so easily available, though I used to have some nail varnish remover which was largely acetone.

It also stripped resist off pcbs.
      Last edited by zeitghost; 11 September 2017, 21:34.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
        This evening's first & only feature was "The Counterfeiters" (2007) based on the true story of the Jewish counterfeiters employed by the Nazis to produce £132M of £5, £10, & £20 notes during the last major unpleasantness.

The Counterfeiters (2007) - IMDb

It was rather good in its way.

The extras include interviews with a chap who was in Saxenhausen working as a counterfeiter, the last one then extant, at the grand old age of 90. I suspect he's not around any more.
        I've got that - looking forward to watching it

I feel sure the shipping forecast will tell us more.
        It doesn't tend to cover us here, given that we're as far from the sea as it's possible to get in Great Britain, give or take ten miles or so

Got a gallon of TQF somewhere. I'm not sure the acetone is so easily available, though I used to have some nail varnish remover which was largely acetone.

It also stripped resist off pcbs.
        Amazon has 100% acetone: https://www.amazon.co.uk/HAZ-Pure-Ac...dp/B006ISCFI8/

Sold as nail polish remover, but if you don't need it by the gallon it might do

Comment

The aforementioned film has subtitles because it's in German.

Just sayin' like.

The extras are, on the contrary, in English.

It's a Sky Movies & BBC4 copro.

Comment

Just back in from a gig. Voice tired. TFBSZ
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I've noticed a pattern where by Monday evening, I start to feel about ready to get on with stuff - witness earlier living room tidying. Just in time for me to go back to ClientCo on Tuesday and have all the energy drained from me over the next three days. Not so much by the work, which isn't particularly challenging for the most part; just by the exertion of getting there and back

If they'd just learn how to set up a VPN so I could WFH a bit, it'd work out better for them, too. I spent much of Thursday morning mucking about with something and failing to work out how to approach it due to being too knackered, and distracted by people having a long conversation right next to me, before giving up and doing some other stuff in the afternoon. I just decided to have a quick think about the failed stuff and, in ten minutes, had all the important aspects sussed, including a mostly-working function which I've emailed to myself so I have it when I get there tomorrow

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Looks like a pretty clear start here

Mind you, the sun won't even be up for another ten minutes

Comment

Morning all Clear blue skies this morning and bloody cold. Feeling a little hoarse this morning.
                  We, the still un-named band, are now the resident band at a local pub's open mike nights (held every couple of months). Not because we're particularly good, but because we have a PA system.
                  Last night a couple of acts who had signed up to perform either pulled out at the last minute or failed to show, so our set had to be extended. "Here's a song we haven't practiced in a while"... although saying that, people were surprised we had actually practiced some of the others.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I've noticed a pattern where by Monday evening, I start to feel about ready to get on with stuff - witness earlier living room tidying. Just in time for me to go back to ClientCo on Tuesday and have all the energy drained from me over the next three days. Not so much by the work, which isn't particularly challenging for the most part; just by the exertion of getting there and back

If they'd just learn how to set up a VPN so I could WFH a bit, it'd work out better for them, too. I spent much of Thursday morning mucking about with something and failing to work out how to approach it due to being too knackered, and distracted by people having a long conversation right next to me, before giving up and doing some other stuff in the afternoon. I just decided to have a quick think about the failed stuff and, in ten minutes, had all the important aspects sussed, including a mostly-working function which I've emailed to myself so I have it when I get there tomorrow

Goodnight all
                    I well remember coding in my head as I trudged up the hill behind my house, long long ago when I still coded for a living in FORTRAN IV.

I had an epiphany on how to approach something on the GA16-220 with its limited memory.

It worked too, rather better than the way I'd approached it in "work" that day.

IIRC it had something to do with processing datalogging floppies or somesuch.

Morning denizens

Looks like a pretty clear start here

Mind you, the sun won't even be up for another ten minutes
                    Yup, winter draws on.

It'll soon be pitch dark at 06:00.

It's being so cheerful that keeps I going.

Comment

well dry in Manchester

thought it was going to be wet as I drove through quite a downpour on my way from chez oPM

but it seemed to just be affecting the outskirts of manchester right now

or was at 7 o'clock this morning

Comment

Working...
                      X