• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Sausage and bacon baguette has arrived!
    Went for the full fry up from client co. canteen this morning. Last nights "carb loading" in the pub may have had something to do with that decision.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I've had MarkyMark and his twin brother pestering me this morning since 8.30. I have a fairly high level of confidence that their daily work instructions include "breathe in" and "breathe out", but they probably still need to speak to the functional team to check it's the right thing to do.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        I've had MarkyMark and his twin brother pestering me this morning since 8.30. I have a fairly high level of confidence that their daily work instructions include "breathe in" and "breathe out", but they probably still need to speak to the functional team to check it's the right thing to do.

Could be worse, they could be flat lining like some of ours
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          Could be worse, they could be flat lining like some of ours
          They are still asking me questions (even though I'm on invoicing conf calls for the next 3 hours)
          It's gone from me requesting items by specifying their type and length, to me telling them the dictionary items they should use. I've even suggested standard code they could use or look at for ideas.
          Then they asked me how the standard code works technically. I will shortly be asking them for access to the development programs so I can code it for them. (Yes, I'm qualified as a developer, but have evolved to a higher level).

Latest question: "you want this field to be 10 characters long, should I make it 12 for future proofing"
          Me: "No, if you change the field size then the other developers will have to change their system to match"
          "You haven't specified audit fields, so I shall add in the audit fields"
          Me: ""No, if you add fields then the table will be different for the external system"

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            They are still asking me questions (even though I'm on invoicing conf calls for the next 3 hours)
            It's gone from me requesting items by specifying their type and length, to me telling them the dictionary items they should use. I've even suggested standard code they could use or look at for ideas.
            Then they asked me how the standard code works technically. I will shortly be asking them for access to the development programs so I can code it for them. (Yes, I'm qualified as a developer, but have evolved to a higher level).

Latest question: "you want this field to be 10 characters long, should I make it 12 for future proofing"
            Me: "No, if you change the field size then the other developers will have to change their system to match"
            "You haven't specified audit fields, so I shall add in the audit fields"
            Me: ""No, if you add fields then the table will be different for the external system
            "

I do all sorts now, could be Project Management, Architect, Lead Analyst Developer.
            There is usually a running team / lead element in there these days, as I have been doing this tech for around 20 years

Keeping the SME hands on skills in my reporting system is my interest.
            Often I will do Protoypes and let others do the Dev to my instruction.

For example, a role that I have been earmarked for they need an excellent analyst, with technical knowledge of the Risk subsystem architecture, plus being an expert in reporting design.
            Also leading a team of around 4-5 directly.
            Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 28 July 2017, 11:10.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I've spent much of the morning fixing some of my own code from about a year ago, which had a minor bug in a line of that logged what it was up to that had never been noticed until I spotted it when I wrote some tests intended to check a change I was making

The good news is that, once I'd sorted that out, the change I made today passed with flying colours

But going over my own old code does leave me wondering what equally terrible decisions I've made in other aspects of my life

Comment

So for next week’s little excursion to Edinburgh I’ll be using a tracker on the bike, mainly so MrsB knows I’m still alive and where to find me if I end up in a ditch somewhere.

If you too would like to track my progress, or lack thereof, you can follow me on Twitter -@Dave_Blogs – for daily links to the tracking page.

Depending on how knackered I am any point I may or may not post pictures and updates there as well. If I do, expect them to get less frequent / coherent as the ride progresses.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Everyone is only holiday today at ClientCo

Oh well back to work.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Everyone is only holiday today at ClientCo

Oh well back to work.
                    Surely that's the time to get the real work done
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                      So for next week’s little excursion to Edinburgh I’ll be using a tracker on the bike, mainly so MrsB knows I’m still alive and where to find me if I end up in a ditch somewhere.

If you too would like to track my progress, or lack thereof, you can follow me on Twitter -@Dave_Blogs – for daily links to the tracking page.

Depending on how knackered I am any point I may or may not post pictures and updates there as well. If I do, expect them to get less frequent / coherent as the ride progresses.
                      There's an app called Glympse which is great for sharing location from your phone (works cross platform) which I use to share my location with my wife when I'm out on long dog walks

Comment

Working...
                      X