• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off to B&Q again. I wanted to get a 150mm wide cabinet, which would handily fill much of a gap caused by the odd configuration of the walls where the new cabinet is going, and give me a bit more storage space. I'd identified something that would fit; it's a wall cabinet, as the base cabinet is too deep for the gap, but I figured tacking it on the side of the new cabinet with a couple of brackets would do the trick. It was there on the website, and the stock check page (which is fundamentally untrustworthy, but still) said it was in stock.

I went up and down the aisle and couldn't find it anywhere. Finally, I had to do the unthinkable: approach a member of staff for assistance

I showed the chap the thing on my phone and asked where I could find it. He shook his head: "No, we don't do a 150mm one."

I could have understood if he'd said they didn't have any, but this absolute denial that they even sold such a thing bemused me. I goggled slightly, and pointed out that this was on their own website, and the page I was showing him clearly stated it was in stock at this store.

He hauled out his handheld thing and asked me for the product code, which I read out to him. He looked carefully at the results of entering it, and his face cleared: "Ah! Trade!" he said triumphantly.

He then explained that I'd have to go to the trade counter, where they'd arrange for one to be brought down from the separate trade warehouse upstairs. I thanked him, decided I couldn't be bothered hanging around that long, returned my empty trolley to its point of origin, and left

Then on the way back it occurred to me that I have various bits of white laminated board lying around, retained for years on the standard basis that "They might come in handy one day", and realised that for the very first time ever in the history of the human race hoarding junk, such a day had come

So I'm going to make my own cabinet to fit in the gap, which will also have the advantage of completely rather than partially filling the space

Comment

I may have just committed myself to something rather daunting.

I may also have bitten off rather more than I can chew.

It may or may not be on a par with Brillo's Ironman antics, depending on your point of view.

Fund raising will be involved once I get my head around it.

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        I may have just committed myself to something rather daunting.

I may also have bitten off rather more than I can chew.

It may or may not be on a par with Brillo's Ironman antics, depending on your point of view.

Fund raising will be involved once I get my head around it.

Yard of ale?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Yard of ale?
          I'm going to need one if I finish this.

Comment

Today's other exciting news is that my vacuum sealer has arrived, so for the rest of the evening (or part of it) I will be sealing things in plastic bags and putting them in the freezer

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Today's other exciting news is that my vacuum sealer has arrived, so for the rest of the evening (or part of it) I will be sealing things in plastic bags and putting them in the freezer
              we normally just wrap stuff in clingfilm or or chuck it in tupperware box. (Other brands of plastic storage containers are available).

Comment

24 hours with NLYUK?
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Since you will have cut down your drinking due to training you will be hallucinating about ale.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

we normally just wrap stuff in clingfilm or or chuck it in tupperware box. (Other brands of plastic storage containers are available).
                    That's been my MO up till now, but I found that (possibly due to my inadequate cling filming skills) I was losing stuff like chops to freezer burn quite frequently. So I thought I'd give this thing a go, as it's only just under £50 on Amazon.

I'll probably continue to use the large number of plastic boxes I've collected, mainly from the Chinese, for casseroles and things. But I'm giving the sealer a try with the two remaining portions of last night's casserole, mainly because I want to give the boil-in-the-bag approach to reheating it a try. But I don't suppose it'll turn out any better than sticking it in the microwave as I do now

Comment

The last time I tried the clingfilm trick it didn't go well, the clingfilm was so cold it fragmented when I tried to defrost the stuff & I had to spend ages picking bits of fecking clingfilm out of what was supposed to be my tea.

It might be that the freezer is overly enthusiastic of course.

Comment

Working...
                      X